Ballet Talk for Dancers
logollady

Developing hyper extension?

logollady

Ok, so I know that people are either born hyper extended or not... and I do believe that DD has hyper extension (her teacher has told her so), to a degree...however, her knobby knees often mask her extension, even when pulling up in the knees, which is also exacerbated by the fact the she seems somewhat tight in the area behind her knees, so she can't reach a full hyper extension.

We, in no way, want her to do anything dangerous to develop that coveted look, but she is becoming critical of her "line" because she doesn't have the knee that pops back creating that s curve with the supporting leg... plus, pictures often look like her knee is bent because of the knobbyness. :)

Is there anything she can do to increase flexibility in the back of the knee area, and also, can knobby kneecaps (very loose/pliable, able to be moved about) be...ummm...under knobbed by any exercise or stretching movement? The for your help!

camercad

Have you spoken to your daughter's teacher about what she could do?

logollady

That is a good question! I am sure over the years that I have mentioned something in passing...but I can't be certain. She actually just started developing the hyper extension over the past year or two...as she has a always had a problem with bent knees...although now I think we know that it was more of an issue of tightness keeping her from fully extending. Teacher actually has remarked that having her learn the basics without dealing with hyper extension has helped her to not have the issues that most girls have.

buzzandmoo

My DD struggled with this exact issue about 3 years ago.....what was discovered is she has joints that CAN hyperextend but she was using the wrong muscles for turnout which made it hard for her to fully straighten her knees. After working with a great Pilates instructor, she now is using the appropriate muscles. It is hard to explain in words but she was fighting her own flexibility!

Pensive

I just want to say that I found this utterly interesting as my DD seems to have hyperextension everywhere EXCEPT her knees. If all of her other joints hyperextend, shouldn't her knees do so as well?

rosetwirl

Similar situation with my dd: at age 16, the hyperextension in her knees is just now finally becoming apparent. I'm not sure why it was hidden before and is apparent now.

logollady

So, for those girls who developed the existing hyper extension, they didn't do anything special except learning to use the correct turnout muscles? Thanks for the thoughts... I think this may be what is happening with DD as she really has increased the Pilates in the last year.

mom2two

Pilates was the key for one of my DDs who appeared to not have much hyperextension. It has really helped her develop her lines as much as possible.

Coco

Sorry, but I am a bit confused by this discussion. I thought that you either have hyperextension or you don't and that you can't create/ acquire it. I also thought that those with hyperextension have to learn how to control it, how to not sit back in their hyperextension.

vrsfanatic

As a ballet teacher, I would have to say "developing hyper extension" is not something one should really try to do. One is born with it or not. Trying to make it happen is a dangerous endeavor. It might be very damaging to the knees.

logollady

I am sorry if I was confusing to anyone. I thought I said that in my first post... that one either has it, or they don't...

vrsfanatic

I am so pleased to see you do understand. There are many threads in the archives on this very subject with much commentary. Please use our Search button in the top right hand corner of this page. Since the original poster has understood the question, it is best this thread be closed. Parents of dancers and future parents of dancers please understand the importance of this discussion. This is another reason why it is so important you find professional teachers for your children. Ballet is a serious physical activity, regardless of whether your DC would like to study for a career or simply because they like it.

This thread is now closed.

Edited by vrsfanatic
to show additional information