Ballet Talk for Dancers

adult summer intensive reviews

jd29

After promising to do it during the weekend on the buddy board, here are my reviews for the two summer camp I went thi summer,

I use the teen template for reviews.

here is the first one the second one will be on the next post

GENERAL INFORMATION
Dancer Age: 26
Dancer Sex: F
Program Name: Sammatti summer camp (Finland)
# of weeks attended: 1
# of weeks offered: 1
Program Level dancer was in: only one level divided by height for class and rep
Who is providing Feedback:student
Other SIs attended: none

FACILITY INFORMATION
Flooring: marley, sprung, 2 rooms : one studio for ballet class sprung but not enough, it was hard for the shin, the other is the stage well sprung. NO MIRROR nowhere
rosin allowed
Building Safety: un-necessary
Space: see floring
Bathrooms/general cleanliness of studios: very clean

CLASS INFORMATION
Number of students in class: 20 something (17-22)
Was the student challenged: yes
Technique: Vaganova/Cecchetti/etc.: mixed
Did the students have the same teacher(s) every day: smae teacher for rep, for class haf of the week with a teacher the other half with another one
Please break down the number of ballet technique classes held each day with their time length: 1 technique
What other dance forms were offered: only repertoire

Was partnering available and if so, for what levels: depending on the rep piece you were going to perform
Was Pilates or other conditioning offered: stretching
Did you feel that the number of injuries was average for an SI: no injury
If students need medical care, how is that handled: ?
Is Physical Therapy available onsite: they're is a massage therapist not far away from the studio, you have to book and pay for it

Were nutrition/anatomy/personal safety/injury prevention classes offered: no
What other extra-curriculars were available: no
Were open classes available to attendees: no
Was ballet class time used for rehearsal: yes but all the camp was about performing one technique classe to warm up, the rest was rep/rehearsal

DORM LIFE
RA/student ratio: only adult so no need

Were you happy with the security/supervision: not needed camp was in the middle of the finnish countryside, first shop 2km away (you have to walk)

Was it easy to communicate with home: yes cell phone were working and they is free wifi in the dining room (for me it was perfect I didn't want to be bothered by my job with email and other stuff)

Were you happy with the accommodations: yes 2 people in a room, 4 room in a house with one bathroom but to WC

Were you happy with the food: ABSOLUTELY YES, it was exceptionnally good, healthy and balance, vegan option at each meal, really really good

What was the best weekend activity: no week-end (only one week camp)

Was there enough/too much down time: yes

Cleanliness of dorms: good

PERFORMANCE OPPORTUNITIES
Was there a performance and if so, what were your impressions: the whole purpose of this adult summer camp is to learn and perform a ballet in a week, we were two group and learn Giselle this year (professionnel from finnish national ballet were dancing Gisell and Albrecht). It was really good

Was casting equitable: yes

GENERAL COMMENTS
Is this program more suitable for any specific age group: only adult (it's an adult camp)

What did you like best: everything (food, dynamic ballet class, wonderful rep teacher, taking ballet class with pro)

What did you like least: nothing

Do you have any tips for preparing for this SI: prepare a good amount of training clothes, prepare physically to dance at least 6h every day (not every day with pointe shoes on, but a descent amount still) and a raining coat.

Would the student return again: definitively YES (I'm already planning my work so that this week is going to be free)

Did you feel comfortable raising concerns if there were any: yes

In a word or phrase, please describe the atmosphere of this SI. Please include anything that is exceptional or unique about this program that will help others gain a sense of the culture at this SI: only adult who dance for pleasure no pressure for year round and other teenager thing. We were around 35 so it was a kin of family atmosphere wth different nationality, there is a great group spirit. The food ois wonderful, teacher are wonderful too, my year round teacher was not believing that a whole ballet in a weekwas possible, but it was and that was a really great week (my best holidays so far)

GENERAL INFORMATION
Dancer Age: 26
Dancer Sex: F
Program Name: International Dance Pont l'abbé
# of weeks attended: 1
# of weeks offered: 1
Program Level dancer was in: level 3 (level from 1 to 5, 5 was the highest) for ballet technique, only one level for rep and pointe

Who is providing Feedback:student
Other SIs attended: Sammatti 2 weeks before

FACILITY INFORMATION
Flooring: marley, sprung, ballet studio was the stage, no rosin allowed NO MIRROR
Building Safety: we have a card with name and picture that we have to handle for each class
Space: see floring
Bathrooms/general cleanliness of studios: clean (sometime less but always acceptable)

CLASS INFORMATION
Number of students in class: around 25
Was the student challenged: not at all in technique, yes for pointe and rep

I wanted to change to the upper group they said me unfortunately their is no free spot in level 4, but a 14 year old girl ask just after me (I was like 50cù away and they said yes) adult were not well considered in this camp, however they claim to be open to adult.

Technique: Vaganova/Cecchetti/etc.: mixed : french school (ballet teacher came mostly only from paris opera ballet school

Did the students have the same teacher(s) every day: no it changes everyday for technique and pointe, same in rep
Please break down the number of ballet technique classes held each day with their time length: 1 technique 1h30

What other dance forms were offered: it's a sign up camp, no audition needed I signed for ballet, pointe and rep, but modern, yoga, hip hop and music-hall were offered but you cannot attend everything (yoga was at the same time as rep fpr exemple).

Was partnering available and if so, for what levels: no
Was Pilates or other conditioning offered: yoga (hatha yoga) you coud attend if you were not in the rep class

Did you feel that the number of injuries was average for an SI: I don't know, I wasn't aware of any
If students need medical care, how is that handled: ?
Is Physical Therapy available onsite: NO
Were nutrition/anatomy/personal safety/injury prevention classes offered: no
What other extra-curriculars were available: no
Were open classes available to attendees: no
Was ballet class time used for rehearsal: YES the last 2 days

DORM LIFE : NO DORM available

PERFORMANCE OPPORTUNITIES
Was there a performance and if so, what were your impressions: YES, we learn the piece just the day before in pointe and rep. We learn the pointe piece the morning before the afternoon performance. Class piece was good, but very simple (I was not challenge at all in class). Rep piece was good, it was a mixed of the pieces we learn in the class each student doing a piece theywere able to do (flat or point) in a new music. Pointe piece was a mess
Was casting equitable: yes

GENERAL COMMENTS
Is this program more suitable for any specific age group: younger student as they ignore aldult student.

In ballet class I was completely ignore, with other older teenager we tried to go in the middle of the room and the teacher no go back to the side. One was mostly correcting POBschool student, other two were more open to other students but older one are not well considered at least in level 3, they were more adult in level 4 and they were better seen

What did you like best: repetoire class and pointe just after
What did you like least: ballet class, the first class in 1h30we only did barre and a degagé in the middle, biggest jump of the week saut de chat. I also don't appreciate the fact that teenager can change level but not adult

Do you have any tips for preparing for this SI: prepare pointe shoes
Would the student return again: NO mostly because of conflicting date, next year (same as my favourite intensive)

Did you feel comfortable raising concerns if there were any: depending who you were talking to…
In a word or phrase, please describe the atmosphere of this SI : don't really like it mistly because of the technique class, a lot of POB student, so a bit too serious for me. I like SAMMATTI better. I also think that a part of my bad impression came from the fact that I just came from sammatti and nothing could have been better…