Ballet Talk for Dancers

Slow learner in Ballet??

Marileexlovefordance

I take a while to learn a new combination, but what if I don't know how to do everything my teacher says? Do I just interrupt after she's done telling us the combination or just wait until after class or something to ask how? I only started this year, but I'm in ballet 3/4...

How do you get better at remembering the combinations?

• Administrators

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Marileexlovefordance. :)

Remembering will come with training, but learning needs to be done in a class for beginning students. I'm sure your teacher realizes you don't know all of the steps, but maybe she cannot take the time of the class to teach them to you. I would talk to her, and maybe ask if there are some lower level classes you could take in order to learn the things you need to know in order to be in level 3/4.

My school has pre-preparatory, preparatory 1, preparatory 2, 1st grade, 2nd grade, 3rd grade, all the way until 7th. Right now I'm taking pre-preparatory to 1st grade, and some 2nd grade classes, so I can catch up. :) I would suggest taking the earlier classes as well, I think it would help you immensely! (It did for me, at least.)

Edited by alexisozlem

Okay,Victoria Leigh, what I'm confused about, is she wanted me to be in a higher class because i've had lots of lyrical and jazz experience and she thinks its a better fit. So I tried both the advanced and the grade 3 class, and she wanted to "evaluate" me to see.. so I don't know, I think i'll just work harder because she thinks this class is right for me :) Also, is there any chance on earth I will go en pointe some day? I'm really pretty strong(my legs and feet) but just want to know.. i'm 15 :)

• Administrators

Of course there is a chance, if you have the physical facility and the amount of training to get you to the level to be ready for pointe. Please read the Pinned topic at the top of this forum called Facts of Life About Pointe Work. :)

Marilee, Ms. Leigh is a very respected and experience teacher. The proper form of address for her here on BT4D is as "Ms. Leigh". :). :thumbsup:

Marilee, Ms. Leigh is a very respected and experience teacher. The proper form of address for her here on BT4D is as "Ms. Leigh". :). :thumbsup:

Oh, sorry, Ms. Leigh ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi!! I totally understand the struggle of picking up combinations slower than everyone else..however I think it's important to remember that they aren't you, you don't know they might be taking a million more classes than you are..or they may have been in class a couple of days ago when you weren't. To actually solve this I would say to your teacher at some point something along the lines of 'I love ballet but it's so hard to remember everything.. It's probably because I'm newer than everyone else' this will just remind her that your new, if you actually don't know something you can just try your best(and fail maybe!!) or mark it and she'll have it in her mind that you're slightly behind everyone and maybe go over it, or at least not get mad at you.