Ballet Talk for Dancers
pointy_ears

Cecchetti required?

pointy_ears

Hello, again!

Before I dive into my question, I just want to once again thank the collective wisdom of this amazing forum.

On to my question: My 14-year old daughter dances at a studio with an in-house company. She is a member of said company, and as such, is required to take not only the core ballet and pointe classes, but also jazz and modern. I've mentioned in a previous post that she rather "loathes" jazz, and tolerates modern, but realizes she must be well-rounded if she wants to potentially dance professionally one day (which she says she does).

Although not a requirement, the AD strongly encourages the dancers to also take Cecchetti classes. As my daughter advances through the levels, she is liking it less and less. She finds it boring and a waste of time, and wants to quit. As she has always scored very high on her exams, and is indeed moving up in her Cecchetti studies, I'm trying to convince her to stick with it. But she insists she wants to quit. She feels she is already being "forced" to take jazz, so why should she continue on in another aspect of her studies that she finds to be a waste of time, especially since she already takes advanced level ballet and pointe classes.

I know if she does quit, her AD will be very disappointed and question her commitment to dance - which I guess I will have to leave between my daughter and the AD.

But I'm going to mine the wisdom of those more experienced and ask: IS something like the study of Cecchetti a "must"? Does not one receive the technique studies necessary through the ballet and pointe classes (which contain technique and variation studies)?

I'm just curious as to whether this is just a moneymaker for the studio, or truly a good thing.

Any insight is appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Victoria Leigh

If she is getting enough ballet technique and pointe classes, and is already in an advanced level, I really don't know why she would be needing additional syllabus classes. The study of a specific syllabus is not a requirement. Exams are not requirements. If the QUALITY and quantity of the non-syllabus classes are meeting the standards of pre-pro training, then I do not think that she should HAVE to take the syllabus classes. If she wanted to do so, would they be in addition to her regular schedule, or in place of some of her other classes? What is her current ballet tech. and pointe schedule without the syllabus classes?

pointy_ears

Hi Victoria,

Thank you for your reply!

Strictly speaking of ballet, my daughter currently takes 7.5 hours of ballet/pointe classes per week, PLUS 1.5 hours of the Cecchetti syllabus. The school allows for the syllabus to count as one of the three required ballet technique classes per

Now, being “dance dumb”, I don’t know how many hours of ballet technique she should be taking per week; I do know that several of the girls in the higher levels have gone on to be accepted with full scholarships into prestigious year-round programs, so the studio must be doing something right?

Victoria Leigh

It would help if you would break that down for me on a daily basis. Trying to figure out where pointe comes in, and how many days a week she has class.

pointy_ears

Ah, got it.

Okay, here is her schedule:

Monday: Ballet/technique - 1.75 hours / Pointe: 45 min

Wednesday: Jazz - 1.5 hours / Ballet/technique - 1.75 hours / Pointe: 45 min

Thursday: Modern - 1.5 hours

Saturday: Cecchetti - 1.5 hours / Ballet/technique - 1.75 hours / Pointe: 45 min

Company rehearsals are on Saturdays and Sundays

Victoria Leigh

I think that is okay for now, but I would really like to see 5 days of technique, with 3 of the days also having pointe, and less hours on Saturday when there are also rehearsals. When they have rehearsals on Sundays are they given a warm up class first?

pointy_ears

Thank you again, Victoria.

My daughter feels the same way; she wishes she could drop jazz and take more ballet. :grinning::grinning::grinning: She just doesn't like the Cecchetti syllabus.

And you are right: the Saturday schedule is less than ideal; however, it was the only one that worked for this semester with the availablity of the other required classes. The company rehearsals will be over in March.

Again, appreciate your wisdom!

Victoria Leigh

So the one Cecchetti class on Sat., before the tech and pointe class and rehearsals, is required? Also, is there a warm up class prior to the Sunday rehearsals?

pointy_ears

The Cecchetti class is not "required", per se, but is strongly encouraged and is perceived as required by most of the upper level dancers because of how the AD positions it. It comes along with two workshops per year that those participating in Cecchetti are required to attend, and the exams.

And yes, there is a warm-up class before any company rehearsal!