Ballet Talk for Dancers

New studio and great SI

pirouettegirl123

I recently went to a great summer intensive where they taught in the Balanchine style. Over there I improved so much in many different ways. I also switched studios. My new studio gives me better training, but sometimes they go against the things that I learned in that SI. At the SI I learned that frappe are done from a wrapped position but this studio prefers to do them from a flexed position. Also, at the SI, they taught pirouettes from a fourth position pliƩ but at my new studio, some but not all want a straight leg preparation and they want us to pliƩ at the last second before the turn. I know that you have to stick with one thing at some point but I don't want to loose the progress I made at the SI. Any tips?

• Administrators

Actually, you will need to be ready to adapt to however things are wanted by teachers and choreographers. There are many different ways of doing certain things, all valid but just different method or style, and an advanced dancer needs to be able to adapt. Most all major companies, for instance, have Balanchine works in their repertoire, but not necessarily dancers trained in Balanchine style. Good ballet training is good ballet training. The method or style is not as important as the quality of training.