Ballet Talk for Dancers

ABT Jackie Onassis School

Letters have been received by my daughter's friends. They received them on Saturday.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mirabray

• dcportrait

• dluna

• DanceMumNYC

Guest cuppatea

Thanks for your reply-it concerns me a little because my daughter auditioned but hasnt received a letter or email yet...hate to bother them at this point...Has anyone else out there audition, but have not received a response yet?

• 3 weeks later...

cuppatea,

Two letters were nonacceptance and one letter was an acceptance.

dancingthrulife

• 2 weeks later...
Guest diamondgirl

Has anyone attended a private audition? I was wondering what it is like? Is it a ballet class...pointe? I will be attending one soon and was wondering.

The class for age group 15-18 has regular class, pointe on center. And the teacher has you do alot combination with pirouettes, according to dd. Hope that helps.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, my 12 yr old dd auditioned by taking a class. She enjoyed it very much, liked the kids, and loved Mr. Da Vita, the Director. (she was accepted) It was very low-key, and she had a lot of fun. No parents allowed, of course...She was going to just take the tech class, but as it was a Variations day, and as she seemed to be doing all right, she was invited to stay. Some of this was on pointe. She loved it, just loved it!

Does anyone have any experience auditioning for JKO by taking class with the school?

Allegrodancer,

perhaps you already got an answer to your question, or solved your problem another way, but all you do to set up the audition is call the same Molly Schnyder named in the brochure. As the year is coming to and end, though, I dont know whether Mr. Da Vita is still doing them? Anybody know?

Does anyone believe that it would be detrimental to audition for JKO after the open audition in April? Does anyone have any experience with setting up appointments at the school? Thanks.

I decided to not audition for JKO, because I am extremely happy at Miami City Ballet School :wub: .

However, congratulations to your daughter! :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

My dd is attending ABT NY's SI and living during the week with her two adult sisters in Brooklyn. We live in NJ, and she has been attending NJ Ballet's school for many years. She is 14 and will be 15 in the fall. We have always homeschooled, and their hours are actually better for us than NJB's although I am concerned about her commuting from home alone in the dark in the fall and winter. She is auditioning for the regular program. She has always been one of the oldest and best in her class at NJB and feels more challenged at the ABT SI because everyone in her class is about her age and similar level. She is in the second lowest level. Only about 4 of the 30 some in her class are auditioning for the fall. She noticed a star next to her name on the audition list yesterday and is hoping this is a good sign. We had been told by someone outside ABT that Mr. Devita was kind of a Svengali who would not allow the kids to take classes anywhere else. My dd really likes him though, and she is very picky about teachers especially men, so I think he must be good. I am concerned about how good a school it is for someone who wants to be a professional ballet dancer since the program is so new. We have not gotten a brochure in the mail about the school, but the letter about auditioning during the SI had the schedules. They apparently are having 12-14, 14-16, and 16-18 year old classes. Dd says the levels seem to be mostly by age rather than ability in the SI.

My ds who is 11 missed the audition for the new ABT young dancer SI due to chicken pox, but as a consolation somehow he was contacted and is getting to be one of the 8 boys in Le Corsaire at the Met. Dd will be the only one in the family to see it as students get cheap tickets. My dh and I did get to see the dress rehearsal in May. Ds can't wait to be old enough for the JKO intensive program althought we have heard SAB is really good for boys. We prefer the style of dance at ABT as it is not concentrated so heavily on Balanchine. Has anyone any advice comparing the two schoold for a boy? Thank you.

Dluna

dluna,

Welcome to Ballet Talk! It is great to have you here. Thank you for all the good information about the JKO program. I'll also direct you to the forum we have set up for the parents of male dancers. This will likely have many topics of interest to you! Again, WELCOME! :o

• 3 weeks later...

Acceptance and rejection letters were given out today for the fall at the ABT summer intensive. Unfortunately my dd did not get in. She is feeling bad especially since she fell last Monday and injured her ankle. It is not sprained or broken, but she can only take bar for now. ABT kindly arranged an appointment with their orthopedic doctor for her, so at least we have good advice for the injury. Poor dd has the double bad news of the injury and the rejection to deal with. I took ds to their regular school for the first day today and was dismayed at the level of dd's class for summer and fall. It will not be any challenge for her. We were hoping she would get into JKO to be more challenged. Does anyone know what other schools in the NY/NJ area are good for professional training? Last year she was wait listed for SAB's summer program but did not get even that this year. She did get into Miami for the summer but chose to go to ABT. She is now questioning her ability to become a dancer at all. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Dluna

I have to recommend looking into Princeton Dance and Theater Studio. I am glad to answer any questions. If it's ok to give the website it's www.princetondance.com. Up close and personal with Susan Jaffe. What more can I say!

Dluna--sorry to hear your DD did not get what she hoped for. Make sure she keeps her spirits up and recognizes that one school does not make or break the possibility of a career in dance. I believe there are several threads about school choices in the NJ area already here but if not, please be sure and post your own. I'm sure you'll get more responses that way than here.