Ballet Talk for Dancers

Tight, tense shoulders

Guest Dancer4Life365

Guest Dancer4Life365

My shoulders, upper back, and arms are extremely tense and tight when I dance. My teachers are always correcting me and telling my to relax my shoulders. Does anyone have any suggestions on how flow more and losen up when I dance? Thanks

• Administrators

The stronger your placement and control of where your body weight is, and of course the more comfortable you are with the choreography or the combinations, the easier it is to let go with the shoulders and upper body. Breathing helps a lot. Learn to breathe in the right places and let the exhale help you to feel the release of tension. The tension needs to be in the abs, not in the shoulders! You have to learn to work hard from the waist down and play with the upper half :) I know, easy to say, but.......as with everything, it's a matter of time and patience and a lot of focus and concentration and hard work.

Guest Old Fashioned

There's a Theraband (or Resistaband) exercise you can use to help strengthen your back and shoulders and also get the feel for pulling down.

Sit in a small straddle on the ground (make sure you have good posture) and wrap the band around each hand until wrists are about a foot apart. Place your arms in first or high fifth position and open arms about 6-8 inches, holding for 6 secondes each rep. When opening arms, assist it by pulling your shoulder blades down. Do ten reps in first and ten in fifth. You can increase the strength by doing more reps (max of 25) and using a more resistant band once you get used to the exercise.