Ballet Talk for Dancers

New here and need advice!!

Guest MarysMom

Guest MarysMom

Hello, I am new here! I have been lurking for a while, and finally decided to jump in and join. I will be starting my first ballet class in just a couple of weeks. I am 24 years old, and I have no ballet experience. I had a baby 4 weeks ago, and thought ballet would be a great way to lose some weight and have fun, too. I figure skated competitively for 12 years, and I was looking for something similar to try. My question is: Does anyone have any good advice for me going to my first class...such as what to wear (the teacher says I can wear anything) and what sort of shoes to get? I am so excited, but a little nervous as I don't know what to expect. Thanks in advance.

Guest piccolo

Will you have a chance to observe the class you will be joining in a few weeks? The standard uniform for ballet classes is tights, leotard and ballet shoes, however, you might feel more comfortable seeing what the other students are wearing.

No matter what you wear, though, the one thing you will definitely need is ballet shoes. Go to your nearest dancewear store and have them help you find shoes that fit you.

Good luck with your first class!

• Administrators

Hello MarysMom, welcome to the Adult Ballet Students forum on Ballet Alert! Online :)

Piccolo's advice to watch a class is great! Since you are not sure what to expect, I think that watching a class would help you with that. As for ballet shoes, you can get either leather or canvas, full sole or split sole, just whichever seems to fit you best and feels good. Be sure to ask them to show you where to sew the elastic :)

Guest mic31

remeber that in class there are only 2 people watching you. You and the teacher. everyone else is too busy trying to get it right too. So relax and enjoy yourself.

Hello Marysmom!

Good for you for starting ballet. It's never too late. My advice would be to get placed in a beginner's class, at least at first, so you don't get frustrated by the terminology and pace of the combinations. However, I bet once you get the basic steps down you'll progress very quickly because of your skating training. The traditional "uniform" for ballet class is pink slippers (leather or canvas), pink tights, a black leotard, and hair pulled up off of the face (in a bun if it is long enough). Good luck, and let us know how you are enjoying it!

luna:)

Way to go! You will have a great time. Just relax, lots of people in the class are where you started at one time or another. It is a great idea to follow the above advice. The reason for the "uniform" is to make sure the teacher can watch your muscles at work. Keep it body hugging - like skating. Black unitards also are o.k. in some classes. Just have fun!

Welcome to ballet!

Most absolute beginners classes don't have a very strict dress code, and it is often acceptable to wear running trousers (just not baggy ones) and a t-shirt with socks the first time, to see if you like it, so you don't have to buy the gear until you're ready to commit to all the classes.

Good luck - I think you'll love it!