Ballet Talk for Dancers

Is this okay?

Ballerina7373

Today I was home sick from school, because I'm having a very sore throat, achy muscles and joints, and I'm very fatigued (I slept until almost 1:00, even though I went to bed at 10:00 the night before). I don't have a fever though. Do you think that's a valid excuse to miss dance class? I did call in and tell them I was sick, but I feel bad about missing now, and I wanted to know if you guys through it was okay. :blush:

If you were feeling bad enough to leave school then yes, of course. You must listen to your body. If you would have attended your lesson, what could you have accomplished feeling the way you do?

I'm not sure that I could have done much in class... The problem is I've missed more classes than usual this semester :blush: and I have 2 classes tonight that I'll have to make up. I'm just kind of stressed out about making up all the classes I've missed.

Do you think it's okay to miss class, even if I don't have a fever? I'm feeling kind of guilty about missing :ermm:

Yes, it is okay to miss class even if you don't have a fever. If you feel bad enough that you can't go to school, you have no business going to an extra-curricular activity. Stay home, rest, and spare anyone else possibly contracting what you have. Sore throat, achy muscles, and fatigue is something--with or without a fever.

At my ballet school, they usually will ask the sick ones to go home if their parents are still there to get them, because the risk of getting everyone sick is so much worse than you losing out on a single class. Also, you aren't going to learn much even by watching that way. You'll just stay sicker, longer. Use it as a mental and physical reset button to dance better in the future.

I agree, if you were too sick to go to school, you probably would not have been able to do anything productive at dance, and you certainly don't want anyone else to get sick

My mother had a rule while I was growing up. No school, no ballet! We follow this rule in our residential ballet program as well. It is most important that everyone, including teachers understand, there is an incubation period for illness, making it possible to spread illness. It is best you stay away from public places when you are in the early stages of colds, flu and stomach viruses.

Thanks everybody! I'm glad you think I made the right decision. I'm still feeling sick, but not bad enough to miss ballet anymore :) How many classes does your school usually let you miss? Or do you not have a set amount? We are allowed to miss 3 (which I have done this week) so I better not get sick again! :dizzy: