Ballet Talk for Dancers

Advancing in Levels!!!

Guest Dancer4Life365

Guest Dancer4Life365

At the stuido I recently started training at, about a year ago, has kept me with kids 2-3 years younger then me and some fairly easy classes. I know age should not matter, but I feel like I can do the work of more challenging classes with kids more of my age. Most of my teachers say that I'am not ready to move up and that I'm working hard but I need to work even harder. Though, I'm already working VERY hard already. I feel like I need, and could take more of a challenge. How can I show them that I'm ready to move up? If anyone could help me..THANKS!

• Administrators

JaDe, first let me tell you that I just deleted this same post on the other YD board. Please post your questions only on one board, or things get very confusing. The moderators here answer your questions, so it will get answered no matter which board you post it on. I am assuming you must be 16, since you felt you could post on both boards?

As to moving up in level, when you start with a new school this often happens, especially if the training you had previously was not of the same quality as that which you are receiving now. If you are at a better school, then you must trust the teachers to do what is best for you. It's not about what steps you are able to do, it's about how well you do them. It is possible that your placement or rotation or use of feet or pointe work, or whatever needed major adjustment when you started at this school, is just not yet up to where they expect it to be in order to move you to the next level.

Guest dancingostrich

Hi. I was at a bad studio. It was so bad that i cant remember them even telling us to turn out!:eek: But then i changes to ballet west. i was put way down. but then the next year i go put up 2 classes because the class i was in there were only 5 people. (the other 4 got put back to the class that we were in the last year.) but anyways back to me. i went through that year just fine and went up once class. (like normal) that was last year. now i just found out that they want to advance me 2 classes and put me on point. they say that i advanced a hole bunch last year. so dont worry about being with much younger children. you can advance it just may take a little while.

And by the way class that i was going to be in in my old studio was point! Im thankful that i left becasue i probibly would of ruined my feet!