Ballet Talk for Dancers

To Accept or to Not Accept

Ballet Day

Hello! Normally, I audition for summer intensives just for experience. Last year I was accepted into all the programs I auditioned for, but turned them down and participated in my local studio's summer intensive, and also had some private classes with one of my teachers. This year, I auditioned for one of the same programs as last year, and was accepted with a complete scholarship. I wasn't planning to attend any summer intensives but my local one, but I'm wondering if I should go to the one which I was offered a scholarship for. I think I would rather stay at home and attend my studio's summer intensive, as I'm looking forward to the many private classes planned for the summer. However, should I let this opportunity slip by? I'm worried that this opportunity might not come by again, and I would definitely like to audition for that same program again in the future, especially since one of my local studio's company girls is a trainee there. Would not accepting the program's offer hurt my chances in the future, as I already turned them down once last year? Thank you for your replies!

Congratulations Ballet Day! Unfortunately, without knowing you, it is difficult to advise you. It might be best to consult your parents in conjunction with your ballet teacher and/or the director of your school. There are many things to consider. Age, level for age, whether or not you have an interest to pursue a career in ballet, financial issues such as housing and transportation costs might all have an impact upon your decision.

None the less, to receive a full scholarship to a ballet summer intensive does indicate you have considerable aptitude for ballet.