Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ripping arch

kballet1862

Just yesterday I started to feel a ripping feeling in my foot just where the arch is. I thought it would be gone by today but its still there. Its only on my left foot.

• Administrators

kballet, I'm sorry, but we cannot diagnose the problem from that kind of discription. It's time to see a physician.

• Administrators

I hope so too, but if not, it is good that you have an appointment.

• 1 year later...

I have made a post like this before but the ripping feeling in my arch has come back. It starts very early into barre and I don't think I should sit out because I would miss the whole class. I have very tight calves so this might be the reason. I stretch and massage my calves every day before and after class but it doesn't seem to be working. It would probably take a week before I can see a doctor so is there anything I can do before that?

• Administrators

kballet, you never reported back to us on what happened when you went through this before, in the fall of 2014. Did you see a physician? Was there a diagnosis? We are not medical experts here, so we cannot tell you what to do. After you have seen the physician and received a diagnosis, let us know what this is, and hopefully, what is causing it and what you can do about it.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't really remember the doctor saying what it was but he said to let it rest and ice it. It did go away after a little bit so that is good. I have been resting it over spring break and I will have to see how it is when I get back.

• 2 weeks later...

kballet, what you are describing really needs a diagnosis. You are responsible for your body and therefore you must pay attention to what the doctor says and if you do not hear him give the issue a "name", then you must ask probing questions until he takes you seriously enough to offer you a treatment plan. Frequently something like this is caused from tight calves and can be a combination of pronation, tight muscles, and incorrect alignment which can turn into some serious issues like plantar fasciitis. If your doctor doesn't take you seriously push your parents for a second opinion.

Ok I will ask my parents if we can book a doctor's appointment soon. My mom doesn't like to take me to the doctor too much so I will need to convince her first.

Um........what? Why?