Ballet Talk for Dancers

RAD or Cecchetti?

Guest rhythmicgymnast

Guest rhythmicgymnast

Hi

I'm starting ballet, and in the process of finding a good studio. In Australia, where I live, there are studios registered under Cecchetti and RAD. I realise this is a very difficult question, considering you haven't seen me or my ability level, but which one would be more suited to my background? I've done ice-skating, artistic gymnastics, and now I do rhythmic gymnastics. I was just wondering also, what do you look for in a good studio?

With my schedule, I think I could only take 2 classes a week. I know this isn't much if I want to one day go en pointe, but would rhythmic help ballet? There are a lot of balances, flexibility and dance in rhythmic, I'm hoping it can help me advance quicker.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my queries. I'm glad there is some place here where I can seek professional advice!

• Administrators

Jana, both RAD and Cecchetti are fine and the difference is in the teaching. So, finding the best school and teacher is much more important than which syllabus they follow.

Some aspects of your background in gymnastics may help your ballet, but others will probably make it more difficult. You will undoubtedly have a lot of flexibility, however your alignment may have stressed an arched back, and you probably have not had to work with a lot of rotation. So, there will be some pretty major differences.

If there is a professional company in your area, that would be the first school I would look at. If not, then go and watch a class in the studios you think are the best. Look for a disciplined approach, but a teacher who is obviously caring about the students and working with them in a positive manner. Is there real teaching going on? Do the students seem to have knowledge of what they are doing and how to do it? Look at the advanced students and see if they are really good dancers, and if they have daily classes in ballet technique. Schools which focus on competitions and recitals, and have "advanced" students who take two classes a week in ballet and maybe also take tap, lyrical, jazz, modern, and hip hop, are to be avoided if you want serious ballet training.

Guest rhythmicgymnast

Ms Leigh, thank you for your speedy reply!

Thanks for the advice, though I must disagree with the arched back in gymnastics. In many skills, an arched or banana back is particular frowned upon, it is considered bad technique or lack of sufficient strength. Beginners will balance in handstand generally with a large arch in their back. However, it may be upwards of 6 months before proper technique, with a nice, straight back and opened shoulders can be achieved. (I'm not sure what exactly you are referring to "stressed an arched back" Do you mean that the training forces an arched back, or an arched back is used a lot. Sorry for my misunderstanding). My above comment may be completely wrong It is true that rotation is not stressed much in gymnastics, but our ballet instructor at the gym commented that I had very nice turnout.

Thanks for the advice about studios, I will follow some of the them up.