Ballet Talk for Dancers

Is it too late?

daisywolf

Is it possible to become professional in ballet when Ill be 18 in a couple of months? Im not talking about being a principal dancer, althou that would be great. I just want to perform maby. Ive been told that I have a ballerina body by MANY people. Im not the most flexible person but Im working on it. I have been dancing since I was 9 but never sticked to anything for long for one reason or another. I danced ballroom dancing from 9-10 (had to quit because I moved countries), I did tap for 2 months at 11 (i didnt like tap), I did ballet and batton at 11-12 (quit because it was a bad school), I cheered from 12-13 (quit due to bullying), Zumba/hiphop at my gym 13-14, and I danced in my schools marching band from 15-17 (quit due to many reasons). I loved doing all of it but had to quit it all. Now finaly I have a chance to take ballet classes at a my cities profesional school. It is one of the best in the nation. They are adult open division classes. Im working on getting used to point shoes. So my question is is it possible to go somewhere if I work realy hard? and what are your stories with starting late and where did you get with it? I loved ballet my entire life but could never do it due to not finding any school for my age and family problems. I couldn't start young because I lived in a country where ballet isn't well known at all. please tell me whatever you can! :ermm:

*Im starting classes this week and probobly 2 per week about hour and half per class. If it goes well Im going to take more classes but I want to test out the school more. I also do yoga and kickboxing and am going to start pilates. I know it may not sound like I dont have any experiance and I know that it takes about 3 years of ballet to start point but im not completely inexperianced. I have strong legs and ankles and feet which is why I put myself on pointe shoes. It may not be the smartest idea and quite dangerous, but im being extremely careful and have no problems with it so far. I want to work hard to get to the level that people my age are at now. It seems imposible but I practice every day and strech every day. The school that I will be going to is a company school. If i get good ill try and adition for they profesional program. I know a lot about dancing and my body is very used to it which is why i dont think that I need those 3 years to start pointe, maby a year. Ive been told that Im a natural and I dont mean to be snobby Im just trying to explain my situation. Also the latest dancing that I have done had a lot of contemporary and ballet incorporated and I performed many times. I was just wondering what is and isnt posible for me if i work hard?*

Edited by daisywolf
  • Administrators

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, daisywolf. :)

I moved your topic to the Young Dancers forum because, although you are taking adult classes, you are still in the 13-19 category.

I would love to give you more hope for a career in ballet, but without years of very high quality and intensive training, it is highly unlikely. However, it would not be totally impossible IF you have all of the physical facility, musicality, artistry, intelligence, focus, work ethic, and very intensive training on a daily basis in a very high quality school. You would need to move to leveled classes, not adult open classes, and have at least one daily technique class, maybe two, and regular pointe classes in addition to the technique classes.

How many classes per week are you taking right now, and how long are these classes? How long have you been taking these classes? It sounds to me like you have just started and I don't understand why you are in pointe shoes. Please explain with more details of your training.

Im starting classes this week and probobly 2 per week about hour and half per class. If it goes well Im going to take more classes but I want to test out the school more. I also do yoga and kickboxing and am going to start pilates. I know it may not sound like I dont have any experiance and I know that it takes about 3 years of ballet to start point but im not completely inexperianced. I have strong legs and ankles and feet which is why I put myself on pointe shoes. It may not be the smartest idea and quite dangerous, but im being extremely careful and have no problems with it so far. I want to work hard to get to the level that people my age are at now. It seems imposible but I practice every day and strech every day. The school that I will be going to is a company school. If i get good ill try and adition for they profesional program. I know a lot about dancing and my body is very used to it which is why i dont think that I need those 3 years to start pointe, maby a year. Ive been told that Im a natural and I dont mean to be snobby Im just trying to explain my situation. Also the latest dancing that I have done had a lot of contemporary and ballet incorporated and I performed many times. I was just wondering what is and isnt posible for me if i work hard?

Edited by daisywolf
  • Administrators

Let's go one step at a time here, daisywolf. You are just beginning, and it's way too early to even think about where it is going and what is possible or not.

As far as putting yourself in pointe shoes, that is a VERY bad idea. I don't care how much of a natural you are, it still takes years of training to have even the basics needed for pointe work. You have to LEARN ballet technique before you start trying to do it in pointe shoes. Since you are going to a company school, my guess is that they will absolutely not allow you to take beginning level classes in pointe shoes. And one does need to begin at the beginning. You don't learn the alphabet by starting with xyz. Your only ballet seems to have been when you were 11-12, and you stated it was a bad school. Just because you have danced a lot in many forms, you have had little to no ballet training. If you indeed have natural ability, then you will progress more quickly than some, but you still need to learn things RIGHT! Ballet is a long, slow process, even for the talented. And if you do things incorrectly, without the basics of alignment, placement, use of rotation, articulation of legs and feet, understanding of the use of the upper body and head and port de bras, then all you accomplish is a lot of bad habits. It's way harder to change bad habits than it is to learn things correctly in the first place! :)

I know what you mean about pointe shoes but I dont try to do any piruettes or anything like that. I simply use them to work my ankles, muscles, arch and to get used to them for when i do start pointe classes. I never said that my dance experiance is like ballet. I know that its far from ballet and that i need proper training. Im just trying to cach up.

• Administrators

Okay, let's agree to disagree. I cannot sanction wearing pointe shoes without the training that leads up to doing that safely. They are not a tool.

I understand your desire to 'catch up', however I believe it is quite important to start at the beginning and get the best quality and quantity of training that you can. As I said before, you may advance more quickly than some others, which is fine, but you still have to learn the abc's!

I would just like to hear about other peoples experisnce and their stories as well and opinions.

• Administrators

On the Young Dancer forum there are very few, if any, who started at the beginning at 17. However, you will hear from some who will respond with things like "Go for it!", "Anything is possible", "If you believe it you can do it", etc. All very nice and well meaning and encouraging sentiments, but not really very realistic or based on experience.

Just reading some of the topics on the Adult Students board should give you a lot of late starting experiences, though.

I'm going to close this topic now, as I don't feel we have anywhere else to go with it.