Ballet Talk for Dancers

That magic thing that makes you dance better

txstudent

Because we all know it's about the little things like what leotard you wear, how you arrange your hair, a skirt, where you stand at the barre, wearing certain warm ups and peeling them off in a particular order, dancing at a familiar studio or a favorite teacher, or what have you.

I confess that if the cut or color of a leotard is more flattering I feel like I dance a little better. For me those leotards are camisole ones that fit well (Elevé makes an XS-long that fits like heaven!) and have somewhat plunging necklines and a lowish or very low V or square back. Or at the very least when all of my favorite leotards are in the wash I feel like my dancing is a little clunkier. A coordinating skirt for center is just icing on the cake!

With certain teachers things just click, though I'm sure that that is the case for everyone. When this happens I know I work harder and more carefully in class, or feel more comfortable to really let go when I need to or attack a step without holding back. I know I should try harder to do these things no matter who the teacher is, but what can I say...it's magic!

I'm crazy about my shoes. I used to wear just whatever cheap Sansha-type canvas shoe was sold for lowest at my local store, then one day I tried a shoe that was more streamlined and flattering looking for my feet. It also has more of a bottom leather sole than that teeny tiny teardrop shaped piece of leather on some shoes. Suddenly, I felt like I was dancing better, balancing and turning more beautifully. It's probably all mental, but it works for me!

I recall in one adult class I attended, with an absolutely magnificent teacher who I still adore, whenever I wore a simple, mesh skirt, I would get more corrections and attention than if I wore my usual outfit. :-)

I don't like my face when I wear my hair back in a bun. I found out, that I could braid my hair and pin the braid around my head. Like this, I like my face much more and always when I have this hairdo, I dance more confidently and better. Outfit too, I have wide shoulders and sometimes I look clumsy in my port de bras. Wearing a nice leotard and well fitting skirt, I see my body much more "harmonic" and the right shoes make my legs look longer.

LaFilleSylphide: I have had an adventure trying to find the perfect slippers. Sole shape and position seem to matter so much! It definitely wasn't something I thought about the first time I went in to try on shoes--4 different pairs of slippers later, though, I have a much better idea of what I prefer.

La Fille Sylphide -- I am so tempted to ask -- what brand/type of shoes are those you are referring to, may i ask? (if not please disregard but that sounds like something good to be aware of when trying on shoes......)

Great comments -- I have thought too about some "magic" ingredients that seem to come together just right in certain classes or at a specific moment it seems -- or maybe for some other reason. Clothes? My own good mood that day? Ate the right breakfast? TxStudent - I agree -- some teachers just bring you to a lovely moment of clarity (and ability that somehow springs to life).

Oh no bother at all! I just didn't name the shoe because it might fit well on me and look sleeker, but not be the right cut on others. It's Grishko Performance. If anything, the leather sole is great for everyone because it had so much more surface area! I also really like the elastic in the arch that kinda gives the illusion that my feet are a bit more curved in the arch.

I'm wildly curious about the Russian pointe slippers because they're "vamps" are wide u shape and v shaped. Those also seem like they'd be flattering, but I don't have access to them here.

Oh no bother at all! I just didn't name the shoe because it might fit well on me and look sleeker, but not be the right cut on others. It's Grishko Performance. If anything, the leather sole is great for everyone because it had so much more surface area! I also really like the elastic in the arch that kinda gives the illusion that my feet are a bit more curved in the arch.

I'm wildly curious about the Russian pointe slippers because they're "vamps" are wide u shape and v shaped. Those also seem like they'd be flattering, but I don't have access to them here.

• 2 weeks later...

This might seem a little silly, but doing a quick arabesque outside in yoga pants and a tee shirt, not warmed up and not really wanting to make my husband take an endless number of pictures felt great. Sure there are technical issues, but the image is nice and it felt good. When I take video in the studio I think I get a little too in my head and overanalyze instead of justing letting my body do. To sum it up, I guess being outside and not caring about trying to fix all of my old person, novice ballet student technical imperfections at once can be magical. :cool2: