Ballet Talk for Dancers

Difficulty Maintaining Momentum In Fouette En Tournant

Celestrial'sKiss

I've never had this difficulty before, but it now seems that I am now having more and more difficulty maintaining momentum in fouette en tournant. Nothing has changed with my form or technique, but it now seems that my last fouette in a string of continuous spins is always so much slower than my first. Does anyone have any idea why this could be, or at least please direct me to some Ballet Talk posts or archives that may talk about this?

Thank you.

NOTE: I hope this isn't a repeat question as I know you do not allow this. I'm only interested in finding out the best forums on Ballet Talk to help me with this without spending hours going through every single page.

DAY AFTER MAKING THIS POST: I've been reading Victoria's pinned topic on "How To Do A Search" and it has sort of helped by narrowing the list of posts I must read through.

That's because you need to get yourself into a proper ballet class :wink:

Guest Pas de Quoi

Hi Celestial: There is a thread in this forum - it's a pinned topic titled "Improve Your Ballet" and it was started by Xena. I just read the comments and they are great! Perhaps they will help you as well. I know I thoroughly enjoyed this "refresher" about how to improve. What's great about ballet (and not so great sometimes!) is that there is always something one can improve upon ......

Cara 76 is right - class is the key! :)

Thank you Pas de Quoi. Although I could not find what I was looking for on Xena's thread, I found it very interesting and will remember some of her tips for when I return back to a ballet class...just as soon as I find out how I'm going to pay for it, and everyone figures if I should backtrack to an earlier level or continue on the level I left off at (which I'm not completely sure of myself--I just know it was one of the advanced levels.) I also wouldn't be surprised if I have to take all the exams over again. I also need a decent leotard too, but I think Capezio will take care of that for me.

Hahaha, will regardless of leotard or what you're wearing, that should not affect your turning issues unless it's ridiculously restrictive (ie. really tight jeans or something). Of course we feel like we can dance better in dancewear we feel confident in, but turning issues are most usually technique issues. How do you normally do your fouette turns? Do you plié in second and close retiré? or do you have a gesture en avant and open the leg to second before closing to to retiré?

if I should backtrack to an earlier level or continue on the level I left off at (which I'm not completely sure of myself--I just know it was one of the advanced levels.) I also wouldn't be surprised if I have to take all the exams over again.

Welcome to the world of what one of our wonderful Teacher Moderators, Major Mel Johnson called the "beginnersagain" or the "rebeginners" adult students of dance. If you've not danced formally for around 10 years, then I'd recommend starting with a Begginers class. You'll tune up the body and refind your muscle memory with no pressure. Don't go straight in at an advanced level - it'll just reinforce any bad habits you've developed, and dealing with combinations and choreography while trying to recapture your technique is very difficult!.

I trained a bit as a teenager (to around RAD Intermediate, old syllabus), and then picked it up again in my 20s - and found that I need to rethink and rework my previous training. And 30 years later, I still am. So I keep on doing the Beginners level classes

The other joy of studying ballet as an adult is that you really don't have to do exams. Studying ballet as an adult really is a very "pure" form of study - we dance for love of the dance, and the fascination with ballet technique.

I hope you find a lovely inclusive studio that welcomes adults - the studios who do this are a gift. Good luck :flowers:

• Administrators

Celestial'sKiss, I think that once you locate some adult classes, you will find a very different atmosphere than you experienced when dancing as a teen in graded classes. Adult classes are generally "open" classes, and while they may follow a syllabus, they are not working towards exams, as Redbookish stated. I also think you will find that adult students are much more welcoming and gracious than teenage girls. :)

I plier extend forward, open to second, and then releve to knee. I usually start losing momentum after my tenth or eleventh fouette. (By the way, do you think my shoes might have anything to do with it? I'm about due for a new pair.)

And thank you all for the motivation! I have a feeling that this time will be different, and the experience a lot more enjoyable...I hope.

Edited by Celestrial'sKiss
  • Administrators

Are you sure you meant to say start in parallel? As in "6th" position???

(Whoops! How embarrassing! I'll just edit that part out. Thanks for the catch, Victoria!)

• Administrators

The best way to gather momentum is to start from a double pirouette en dehors. Once you get going you maintain momentum by using your back muscles to keep the body coming around. Of course the spot is very important, as well as the strength of the supporting leg, and maintaining corps strength with the abs. You have to be very busy remaining UP at the moment of plié, followed by a quick relevé. If you go down in the plié too long or too much you totally lose momentum. If you are in pointe shoes and they are dead, that is totally not optimal.

I've got it now! It was the pirouettes that did the trick! I guess I was so focused on the fouettes themselves that I never realized that I was entering the rotations from a stationary position where I was "dry" on momentum. I guess I had forgotten that a lot of the momentum can come from the piourettes beforehand. Thanks everybody for the help.

Edited by Celestrial'sKiss