Ballet Talk for Dancers

Coupé chassé jeté en tournant question

Tr2163

I was in a new class today and there was a combination including coupé chassé en tournants, which I had never done before. The teacher didn't explain it much so I just followed my own memory from the ballet performances that I had watched before.

From what I have seen on stage, it should be a coupe chassé turn follow by a jeté, then another turn follow by a jeté, etc. So I did it this way, one turn in between jeté. But then I found out that I was finishing too early and the other girls were all doing something like two turns followed by a jeté. My question is, is there two coupé chassé turns ? I watched some YouTube videos but still confused.

Edited by Tr2163

One of the teacher mods would be more eloquent than I am, but I think I know what you're talking about.

After the jeté landing, I do do a coupé en tournant out of it before starting the next chassé.

It sounds Tr2 like what you did was a Jete elance, started with a chasse where there is only a coupe between each jete en tournant and the jump is taken from the cou de pied of the coupe. There is also Coupe jete en tournant which in RAD atleast begins with the chase, then coupe under, then jete - then repeat the whole process including the chasse. So depending on which step you wanted you could do one turn or two in between each jete. They both also have different dynamic qualities.

Thanks for replying!

I am still confused. In the second one that you have described, is there one turn with the coupe under, and then another turn after the jete?

I found a short video which is actually what I was doing. There is only one turn in between the leaps.

http://www.abt.org/education/dictionary/terms/coupe_jete.html

It sounds Tr2 like what you did was a Jete elance, started with a chasse where there is only a coupe between each jete en tournant and the jump is taken from the cou de pied of the coupe. There is also Coupe jete en tournant which in RAD atleast begins with the chase, then coupe under, then jete - then repeat the whole process including the chasse. So depending on which step you wanted you could do one turn or two in between each jete. They both also have different dynamic qualities.

The jete tends to be done in one of two choreographic combinations:

1. chasse coupe jete, coupe jete, coupe jete, etc. The musical dynamic is 1&2, &3, &4 -- every count after 1 is highlighted with a jete. There is only one turn between jetes, as you see in the video you linked to.

2. chasse coupe jete coupe, chasse coupe jete coupe, etc. The musical dynamic is 1&2&, 3&4& -- the even numbered counts are highlighted with a jete. There are two turns between jetes (and a chasse between each of those turns).

The jete tends to be done in one of two choreographic combinations:

1. chasse coupe jete, coupe jete, coupe jete, etc. The musical dynamic is 1&2, &3, &4 -- every count after 1 is highlighted with a jete. There is only one turn between jetes, as you see in the video you linked to.

2. chasse coupe jete coupe, chasse coupe jete coupe, etc. The musical dynamic is 1&2&, 3&4& -- the even numbered counts are highlighted with a jete. There are two turns between jetes (and a chasse between each of those turns).

I agree with Gav, and in RAD we call them two different steps; 1 = Jete elance 2 = coupe jete en tournant. In RAD atleast both have differing dynamic values due to the different musical values. I usually set a jete elence on a 2/4 and a coupe jete en tournant on a 3/4 rhythm but you could do it on a variety of music styles and you would get different dynamic. Always good to experiment! The video you posted is what I would call jete elance.

I think I am clear now! Thanks to everyone who kindly replied!