Ballet Talk for Dancers

Fall placement (copy cat post)

Noodles

I have been reading the Fall Placement post for the 13 and under crowd and can't believe that people do not know their fall placement and class schedule yet! I guess we are spoiled as we find out placement/ evaluation info in the spring and are usually signed up for fall classes by the start of June.

My DD was disappointed to not have been promoted to the next level but several of her friends were in the same boat so that eases the blow.

So my questions are...has your DK excited their level placement? Do they get a yearly evaluation? and are they happy with their placement?

DD missed her adjudication in the spring, so she doesn't technically know for sure, but she has a good idea as she is far enough up the class ladder and has been taking class all summer. They can do make-ups with new student placements next month, and she'll know for sure then. But the spring placements are also "tentative," and students are told they may be moved up or down depending on their summer progress.

Our school is so small that at a certain point you're in the top level with nowhere else to go. That's DD's situation now, and has been for a few years, so levels are now pretty meaningless. Letters with schedules and levels will go out next month.

Small studio here as well. My oldest (almost 15) is in the highest level and my newly turned 13 year old will most likely move up into that level as well. I have another dd whose placement is up in the air, but I'm pretty sure she's staying put as last year was an awful year of awful teachers (no corrections at all). We have since moved studios.

Our studio sends out placement letters at the end of the school year (May) for the following fall. Then if there needs to be adjustments in fall, students will be moved. We are also a very small studio and we need to get an idea of who will be returning and how many new students we will have as the teachers need to know if they will have classes to teach and if they need to supplement with classes at another studio.

My dd is also at the top of the levels which is also the smallest of the levels. We are considering another studio just so she has more students that are serious about a career and provide some motivation/inspiration. However, the training at our current studio I feel is better but not as many hours .

I posted on the other thread accidentally (my dds are both 13+). We typically don't know placement or schedules until a couple weeks before Labor Day for ballet. We are also in the midst of moving studios, so no clue how that will work. At least I have an idea of my dd's freshman high school schedule, lol.

My DD just received her dance schedule and rehearsal schedule for the year yesterday. Super nice so we can plan car pool of need be!

DD15 gets an evaluation and level placement in June. Her school is small and she is in the highest group (contains 3 levels) in the same classes. She is happy that she was leveled up, but the only thing it changes is that she will have a variations class added to her weekly schedule. I don't feel like not enough time is taken to develop constructive evaluations for students -increasingly over last few years- and it seems entire classes move up together rather than considering them each individually. I feel it may be more about retention of students and fear of losing them if they do not progress as they expect than a true determination of where each student belongs, or how well they have met the curriculum .

DD is starting a residency program. Levels are decided after a week of placement classes that they attend during their first week.

Same, Bunhead Mama. DD has been in the small studio/top level situation for 3 or 4 years now, so any placement will be great as it will offer room for growth! (I guess unless she's placed in the top level of her new school, but that seems very unlikely.)

Bunhead Mama and blochhead, it must be quite exciting that your dancers are going off to residency! How are you holding up?

I am curious how your dancer ended up making that choice, if you care to share ;-)

Our studio schedules go out in April as well as general class placements, so that's been done for a while. Placements for what you'd probably call our "company" levels went out yesterday, along with Nutcracker casting. An outside teacher was brought in this summer for a week intensive and for some reason allowed to do the company placements based on the little this person saw the girls (and the placements are a little weird), plus my daughter and some other dancers were put in a strange level due to fall conflicts and many are not happy. There is SO. MUCH. DRAMA right now. My daughter and I are not unhappy but we do have some big questions, especially about how long she will be in this level and what happens when her conflict ends. But she and I are fairly drama free, so I just eat my popcorn and watch the show going on around us! :whistling:

Have not thought about placement year round since dd turned 14. She reached the highest level of her school at that time and was placed in the top level of the next school she attended. Both published schedules before summer even began, if not sooner. I was happy to lose that bit of drama from our lives... not really drama but concern. Dd had repeated a level and this type of news with concern.

Bunhead Mama and blochhead, it must be quite exciting that your dancers are going off to residency! How are you holding up?

I am curious how your dancer ended up making that choice, if you care to share ;-)

Noodles, thank you! Yes, she's excited, and also sad to be leaving her lifelong studio and friends behind. I'm doing ok, although it's a double whammy because my son is going off to college at the same time... so ask me in a few weeks when it's really quiet around here! My daughter decided to audition for the year round while she was doing summer auditions. She was feeling like she had hit a plateau and wasn't where she wanted to be to meet her future goals. Our local options are limited, particularly in combination with strong academics. So when she got into this school for year round we looked into it and it seemed like a very good fit -- in terms of training and academics. As she started looking more closely at it she got very excited - it feels a little like her Hogwarts. I was also looking for a place that could give her both career and college guidance so she can maintain a plan B. This seems to fit the bill. :)

DD14 got her placement letter in June, which is much better than what happened at our old studio, where we didn't hear until mid to end of August. Unfortunately, they sent out the letters the day after we left home for our family vacation. She kept getting texts from friends sharing their placement but had to wait more than a week to get back home to open her own letter. :sweating:

But she did move up a level, to the top level of the school. It will be good for her to be challenged and have more advanced students to inspire her.