Ballet Talk for Dancers

Dancing in College

Teslafangirl

Hello!

New member here! Short background: I danced for several years when I was younger before quitting and restarting at 17. I'm almost twenty now, and I'm beginning Pointe work.

I'm starting college/work soon, and I'm trying to figure out my new dance schedule. I did 50 hours of dance last summer, 32 hours- strictly ballet this summer, and 3.45 hours of ballet/ 1 hour of contemporary last season.

My question is: will three hours of ballet/pointe be enough to continue improving during the Fall? I'm tempted to do more, but I don't want to overwhelm myself. I'm rather type A, and I have to remind myself there are only so many hours in a day...

Anyway, I love ballet, but due to my age it is only a hobby. However, I definitely want to keep improving, especially with Pointe.

Thank you in advance!!

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Teslafangirl (I'm guessing you're a Science major?) and to the Adult Ballet Students section.

If you read through some of the posts here, you'll see that YES, you can keep progressing as a dancer. Just because you won't dance professionally does not mean you can't be a serious student of the art. I'd recommend having a look at some of the Stickies at the head of this forum: we have a couple of excellent posts about improving your ballet, and a lovely personal account of years of dancing as an adult, by one of our members.

I'm a bit of a Type A as well, but the thing that learning ballet teaches me is that slow, steady, and regular works. Set your goals, and track your progress. The trick in progressing is how you set your goals. They need to be concrete and achievable, but challenging enough that they will help you progress.

But most of all, when you dance as an adult as a "hobby" (but we all know it's more than that), you really learn about yourself, and why you dance, and how you learn.

Thank you for getting back to me! And I'm psychology major. :)

And I definitely understand the need for slow and steady- even if my Type A rebels against it.

My main worry is that three hours (two classes) won't be enough...

Set your goals within reach. Take classes where and when you know you can be consistent and add your personal cross training as well. Prioritize what needs prioritized (for me it's being a wife and mother and continuing my career) and then take your discretionary time and fill it to a manageable schedule. Also, max out the classes you take. Don't wait a month to take a correction. Take it then and there, write it down, think about it, reflect on it, and be better in your next class. I know as an adult dancer my time is limited and I need to be realistic but I can also max out what I've been given.

And welcome back to dance and I hope you find the right balance for you.

Thanks, ViolaDancer! (Love the name by the way)

Do you guys think there is really any gain adding an hour class in addition to the two 1.5 classes? I don't want to stress over a third class if it won't be a significant gain (as of course it will be some gain :) )

You can add it at the start and drop it if it gets to be too much for you. If your uni has classes, taking them there would serve both your desire to dance and satisfy arts and/or PE credits.

Thanks Teslafangirl - my only caution would be to not overdo it, meaning physically, emotionally, financially, socially, etc. If taking the class is not detrimental then go for it. If you find it's just not going to work out then be okay leaving it behind.