Ballet Talk for Dancers

Is it ok to attend multiple dance studios at the same time?

equitationqueenbee

Hi all!

I am new to this forum and also very new to ballet. I had my first ballet class last week, and I absolutely loved it! I can completely understand why people describe ballet as being addictive. I am nineteen (almost twenty), and up until now I have devoted all of my time for sports and activities to horseback riding. Ballet is something I have always wanted to do, but I had to choose between that and horseback riding - and horseback riding won. But now I am finally going to pursue my interest in ballet :)

My question is: the studio I am currently going to only offers one adult beginner ballet class per week, so would it be acceptable to attend class at another studio in addition, in order to get more class time? Ideally I would love to take at least three classes per week, which I think is also the maximum I could do while still continuing my normal riding schedule and keeping up with my schoolwork and my job. I have looked, quite thoroughly, around my area for a studio that offers more than just one adult beginner ballet class per week, but I'm really not finding anything! The only reason I ask this is because in the world of horseback riding, it would be considered very disrespectful to take lessons from two different instructors at the same time! I just want to make sure this isn't the case with dance instructors/studios, as well.

Thank you!

• Administrators

Welcome to our forums, equitationqueenbee!

It's great that you have started ballet, and you will find a lot of help, information, and support here. :)

Unfortunately, many schools do not have a lot of adult classes, so, in order to take several classes a week you basically have to attend more than one school. It is not recommended for young dancers training for a career in ballet, but for adult dancers it can be the only way.

(By the way, you posted this topic 4 times, so I deleted the other 3.)

My experience is as Ms. Leigh says. All good as an adult. Some studio owners can be a bit prickly about it, but generally not if you're already taking everything they have to offer you.

Thank you both for your replies :) (and so sorry about posting multiple times - not sure how that happened!). I am glad it won't be too much of an issue for me to attend multiple studios. Based on the classes that I've been able to find near me that are appropriate for my age + level, I think I will have to end up going to three different studios, unfortunately. Less than ideal, but oh well!

For adult beginners, it's just not a big deal. The sticking with one studio thing is for serious training, usually for children/teens. And even then there are exceptions. As an adult student, I've encountered using multiple teachers as completely normal. The only hesitation I'll give is that, if your body isn't used to the particular demands of ballet, you might want to ease into the 3 times a week. Enjoy!

I go to 2 different studios, and am very upfront about it. It doesn't seem to be an issue.

Same here: I teach adult beginners and where I teach there are too few classes for more seriouse students. I personally would be happy if they would go to another studio. Just make sure that you do not argue with the teacher about certain things, esepcially not during class ("but with teacher so and so we do it like this"). Safe this kind of question for after class and try to be very open minded for different approaches (this actually can be a true change to widen your horizon right from the beginning).

Okay great, thank you everyone for your help - I feel much better about it, now :) So excited to begin this new adventure ; I'm sure I will be back soon with more questions!

I would think as an adult student you are more free to attend multiple studios. And as has been mentioned, be aware that different teachers have different schools of thought and will approach things differently. One may focus on Vaganova/Russian, while another will use Cecchetti, and another may use general ballet concept without a formal school. Good luck and enjoy!

It's absolutely fine as an adult student. Indeed, sometimes, it's expected: if you attend a large studio, and regularly attend a class at a set time, for example, at 7pm each night, then there may well be a rotating roster of different teachers. You'll learn something different from each one.

I think it could be confusing if you're just beginning, or just re-beginning, if different teachers use different terminology, but once you get used to that (eg battement jeté or battement glissé?) it's all good.

I'd go for the multiple studios if I had that option!

The differences in teaching methodologies does worry me a bit, as I'm really not at all familiar with any of the terminology aside from very basic terms. Hopefully it does not hinder my learning! But I think, as Redbookish mentioned, once I get the hang of it, it won't be a huge deal. In fact, it may even be beneficial in the long run. My riding instructor always says the more horses you ride, the better you will become as a rider, since you have to learn to adapt to the differences from horse to horse. It almost sounds like that can be applied to the ballet situation, too :)

• 4 weeks later...

I'm riding too and my instructor says the same as yours. And as far as ballet is concerned I have to jungle between at least 3 teachers each year (last year I got 5 teachers during the year in 3 differents school) it's the only way I can manage having more than one class a week at a time I can come. Different teachers have different emphasis on what they want. Junggling between different style is tricky at first but you get used to it (I remember having my favourite teacher (mixed styled) yelling we're not at the Bolshoi here ! While I was posing a relevé in 5th apparently too bend forward with my upper body then the next day the russian teacher was like you're too straight bend forward a bit !!!) NOw I just naturally switch from style to style and that really helpful when you take masterclasses or just take the opportunity too take a class once on vacation : you'll adapt easily too everything !!

good luck for your classes

Yes I know this, too. Most studies offer only 1 adult class for each difficulty level - so if you want to do more you need more than 1 school.

So far I have seen 6 different teachers this year ( lot's of holyday or sickness replacement), and you get used to it as long as you have 1 or 2 "main teachers".

One time it is to dance, connecting each movement. On the other teacher I get then "not so much drama" - the next ( an active dancer from a local ballet company helping out) said - "these movements are for having fun".

Since I'll never going to audit for the Bolschoi, it's ok so. I'm doing some contemporary, too, and it synergies a lot. Such things from advanced contemporary like "2 jumps, then a turn with a dragging foot, from this directly a gran jete, landing the gran jete going directly on the floor doing some stuff there...) I couldn't do without the ballet classes.

I understand perfectly, last year I also took a contemporary class (teacher was great, but unfortunatly she move out of town and I don't like the other teacher in town, so purely ballet this year). With this particular teacher, if you haven't, at one point, done ballet it was really really hard to follow !

Last year I haven't have a main teacher. One different teacher for each classes (4 ballet classes/week) plus subteacher (maternity leave), so different need/emphasis in each class. Monday: breath, relaxx, dance free the leg, feel the music (really good for the first class of the week). Wednesday: russian style leg up strict port de bras and so on. Thursday: technically demanding, a lot of changing weight/leg feet, changing side at the barre a lot during combination, but the teacher also tought contemporary so at some point we did some neo classical combination and correction were always funnily explain, a lot of images . Saturday : real teachers my favourit, very active, not that technically demanding in term of combination, but great attention to detail , hand on correction, her sub (french school), port de bras emphasis, was more too slow (boring at some point) almost no correction (we were 10 max) but great great pointe class (less people in the class with mixed level, combination adaptable to anyone (you relevé retiré, you and you half turn, you full turn...) a lot of corrections)...