Ballet Talk for Dancers

What is a good variation for beginner level dancers?

Seraphine

[Nevermind, was never able to continue due to timing and financial reasons] :(

Edited by Seraphine
  • Administrators

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Seraphine!

As an adult beginning student you should not be asked to present a classical variation. In fact, you should not have to audition at all! Also, I have never heard of a school with a pre-professional program for adult students. Beginners, even those with a little bit of previous training would be expected to start at a beginner level. Please explain more about your previous training, and also about this school that is telling you to go for that program. Did they ask you to present a variation? If you are just being assessed for a class level, and they know that you have not been training, the only thing I can think of is that they want to meet you, discuss previous training, and talk to you about what kind of work you might be able to do for the studio.

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Seraphine!

As an adult beginning student you should not be asked to present a classical variation. In fact, you should not have to audition at all! Also, I have never heard of a school with a pre-professional program for adult students. Beginners, even those with a little bit of previous training would be expected to start at a beginner level. Please explain more about your previous training, and also about this school that is telling you to go for that program. Did they ask you to present a variation? If you are just being assessed for a class level, and they know that you have not been training, the only thing I can think of is that they want to meet you, discuss previous training, and talk to you about what kind of work you might be able to do for the studio.

Hi, and thank you for the welcome and your reply.

I think I've stumbled upon a dance studio that focuses a lot on adult dancers. According to their website, and what they told me, they have 2 adult (18+) programs:

The first program is for adult students who only want to do ballet recreationally.

Then the second program is for adults who are serious ballet hobbyists. From what I can see, the pre-professional program and performance company doesn't pay anything, but in all other ways mirrors the programs available for Pre-professionals and professionals, as far as performances and such.

I'm not actually in it yet, but I should be able to provide more details once/if things do work out for this. I would mention the studio's specific site, but I don't know if that'll get me marked as promoting something or spamming since I'm new?

I thought that one would have to actually demonstrate their skill level in order for the instructor to know what level to place them at? If that won't be necessary, then that's actually a relief of pressure. They didn't ask me to present a variation, I just assumed that might possibly be expected (I don't exactly what to expect here?)...I have attended adult (beginner level) ballet classes before and have some experience in tumbling from when I was a teenager (for cheerleading and such), but no professional-league training as of yet.

Edited by Seraphine
  • Administrators

Okay, thank you for clarifying, Seraphine. It sounds like you may have found a school which is serious about their adult students, and that is great! I will look forward to hearing more about it once you have met with them.

I would suggest that you not name the school, mainly to maintain your own anonymity.

Oh, and by the way, it us not necessary to quote the previous post, as it is right there for us to see!

And a welcome from me, Seraphine, to the Adult Ballet Students section of Ballet Talk for Dancers. Collectively, we have a lot of experience in the "re-beginners" category!

You're very lucky to have found a studio which takes adult students seriously. Don't underestimate how much adults need to do class to develop - you say that you are flexible, but lack strength and that you haven't done very much recently - this is something that a regular class (hopefully 3 times a week) with additional core strength training by doing something like Pilates, can really help. If you can do this, you'll see the difference within 6 months.

I wouldn't have thought that an adult beginner (which is what you are at this point) would need to offer a rehearsed classical variation. I would assume (if it were me) that I'd be doing an ordinary class alongside other students. But could you ask them?

I agree with the experienced folks here with what they said. And I'm very glad to hear that the studio didn't actually ask you to prepare an audition piece. (And, yes, pilates...you can injure yourself over-stretching; stronger in the right ways is good.) I just wanted to add my congratulations on pursuing your heart and finding a way to get the classes you want and need to go further. I'm a middle-aged dancer who will never be pro or high level but I perform with the school and I absolutely love it. I get to do a serious (but short) ballet dance with my adult class for spring showcase (plus other styles if I'm taking them) and I have a great character part in the fall Nutcracker. Sounds like you have the performing bug too, not just the ballet one. Enjoy!

Variations are very difficult, and I don't know what you are capable of. Lilac Fairy has a series of pirouette turns as well as a series of sissone fermé... so I'm not sure that's one that would fit your criteria. Can you complete a nicely controlled renversée turn? That requires a good bit of strength, but isn't so much a "turn" I'd categorize in the pirouette/piqué family. If so, perhaps Raymonda's adage de vision from Act I might be good, but again... also very difficult.

Like I said, I don't know your level of experience and your capabilities.