Ballet Talk for Dancers

Returning to dance

pointy_ears

Hello!

My 15 DD will be returning to ballet after a 9-month break in which she did NOTHING.

She was at an advanced level taking 5-6 classes a week, and the studio is allowing her to return to the same level with fewer classes a week, knowing she will likely have some "catch up" to do.

My question: How can she now begin to prepare for her return in early September to avoid injury? Privates? Stretching? Anything else?

I know she is worried about keeping up and not being able to do what she used to; I'm more worried about injury.

This is an excellent academy that has churned out several pro dancers, and I'm sure they will keep all of this mind as she gets back into it, but I welcome some tips from those who have BTDT.

Thanks in advance!

• Administrators

She needs to do full barre work every day, followed by stretching. She can do this at home. If she has learned Pilates or Gyrotonics, that would also help. If not, maybe she could take some classes. Since she was at an advanced level, she should know exactly what she needs to do, and that she needs to do it every day!

Thank you, Victoria.

I appreciate your advice and will pass it on!