Ballet Talk for Dancers

Abs in turns

swan#7

Hi, I have scoliosis in my upper back and a curve in my lower one. When I´m turning, especially on my bad side, my back will throw me back because I start to arch the middle of it. I´ve been trying to fix it by thinking more hips under and reaching out my arms in a longer first to counterbalance. I know I also need to engage my abs, but while turning, is it necessary to flex almost to keep my back in place. I really don´t think about my abs at all on my good side and get around fine..it´s only on the bad side I arch.

• Administrators

Swan#7, I have no idea what you mean by this part of your post..." I know I also need to engage my abs, but while turning, is it necessary to flex almost to keep my back in place."

It is always necessary for the abs to be engaged, but it sounds to me like you are just not getting up on top of your standing leg with your weight over that leg. But I don't understand what the flex part of your question is. Flex what?