Ballet Talk for Dancers

Keeping warm

suzmar99

Today my teacher was talking about the importance of staying warmed up when you aren't dancing in variation class. I was wondering if anyone had some advice on how I should do this. We are not allowed to wear any extra clothes in class, and sometimes you can be standing around waiting for you turn to run it for up to 30 minutes which also makes it difficult.

• Administrators

Can you sit down and stretch for part of the time? Work on your feet and rotation either standing or sitting? Can you mark things in the corner or off to the side of the room? Work on some parts of your variation that don't involve using much space? I'm curious as to why there is so much time not dancing in a variations class. Is it a very large class and everyone does the variation alone? That would take forever! Usually, in classes, they are done with at least two or three people at the same time so that everyone gets to do it several times in a one hour class.