Ballet Talk for Dancers

How many hours of dance are appropriate for someone who very recently

ballet_098

I am currently doing 9 hours of dance a week plus rehearsals for the Nutcracker (which is now finished) and, after winter break, for our spring show. These rehearsals can be up to 5 extra hours. I will also be doing some privates to prepare for a ballet competition in March. Do you believe this is enough?

• Administrators

We need more information on the 9 hours, ballet_098. Give us a schedule of your ballet and pointe classes, and how long you have been studying ballet. :)

Monday 7:30-9:00 Ballet (I take this class en pointe)

Wednesday 6:00-8:00 Ballet

Wednesday 8:00-9:00 Pointe

Thursday 5:30-6:45 Ballet

Thursday 6:45-8:30 Contemporary Ballet/Variations

Saturday 10:30-12:00 Character

Here is a copy of my schedule. I have been studying ballet since I was three years old, and I have been on pointe since I was 10, though I only took one class before turning 11.

• Administrators

I think it's okay, since you just turned 13. However, by next fall I would like to see at least 5 days a week of ballet, with pointe on two or three of those days. It's great that you have a Character class! Not many schools offer that, but I wish they did.

Thank you! If they keep the schedules about the same, next year I will be doing ballet on Tuesday and Saturday as well.