• Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Momof3darlings

• julisha

• ayhawki

• KathiaW

• 1 year later...
millvillemurphs

I just came across this website for MOBBallet ("Curating the Memoirs of Blacks in Ballet") and thought it might be of interest for those following this topic:

https://mobballet.org

Thank you millvillemurphs!  I just saw that Theresa Ruth Howard, founder or MOBBallet, will be speaking at the Museum at FIT in NYC on March 19th, as a part of the ongoing exhibit, Ballerina:

Blacks in Ballet: The Shadow World

Theresa Ruth Howard

Thursday, March 19 | 6 pm
Katie Murphy Amphitheatre
Fred P. Pomerantz Art and Design Center

Join Theresa Ruth Howard for an enlightening lecture documenting the history of Blacks in ballet. A former ballerina, Howard is now a writer, lecturer, and consultant. She is also the founder and curator of Memoirs of Blacks in Ballet (MoBBallet.org), a website filled with the biographies of nearly 500 dancers of color.

vrsfanatic

This is a wonderful resource!

I heard Theresa Ruth Howard speak last summer when she was a Scholar-In-Residence at Jacob's Pillow in Massachusetts. She was informative, entertaining, and inspirational.  Although not 100% current (For example, Chrystyn Fentroy is listed as a DTH dancer, when in fact she moved on to the Boston Ballet about three years ago.), the MoBBallet website is truly a wonderful resource, and I have a great deal of respect for Theresa Ruth Howard's work.

• Momof3darlings changed the title to Ballet Diversity: African Americans in Ballet