Ballet Talk for Dancers

Improving ballon?

Guest sylphide*4ever

Guest sylphide*4ever

How would I go about improving my rebounce or ballon in jumps? I've been told that I am pretty good at controlling my form in the air (i.e, turn-out, lines), but I don't have enough of that rebounding quality to connect jumps. Also, does ballon have anything to do with elevation?

Veronica

• Administrators

Good questions, Veronica :)

I'm impressed that you used the word "rebounce" in relation to ballon. I call it rebound, which is the same thing. Once you understand the priniciple of rebound, you are on the way to developing good ballon! It is, of course, the downward thrust of energy that creates the up, or rebound, so good use of your plié is critical. The plié is the action and the jump is the reaction, or, rebound :)

Some things to try in terms of helping your ballon are:

Do some demi pliés with a pulse, which is like plié & plié & plié but without straightening the knees in between, just coming a little bit up. It should be very circular movement in feeling. Let the pliés really relax.

Then try the same 3 pliés and add a sauté or changement. Or, two pliés and two changements. Try to let the movement of the pulsing pliés to allow the jumps to happen as naturally as possible.

Another thing would be to feel like a rubber ball when you do consecutive jumps, or, feel like you have little springs in your shoes ;)

Remember that jumps are circular in energy pattern, not a straight "up and down" thing. To understand this, take one arm and hold it up slightly in front of your face in a relaxed position (sort of like a conductor holding the baton up and ready to begin conducting). Allow the arm to just drop and rebound back up, and you should notice that it does not go straight up but actually creates a circular pattern as you repeat this. You can see the "down" to go "up" circle with this.

Let me know if any of this worked, 'cause it's a much easier thing to show a student than it is to try and explain in writing!

Oh! I forgot the second question :) Ballon and elevation. Hmmm....well, yes and no. There are people with good elevation, ie, the ability to jump high, but they might not also have good ballon. Usually they do, but not always. Then there are people who have developed a good ballon who don't necessarily have great natural elevation. Good ballon will help the elevation though! Elevation is how high you jump, ballon is how well you use the jump you have, which can make a person without a good jump look like a good jumper! ;) Does that make sense at all?

Guest sylphide*4ever

Thank you SO much, Ms. Leigh~!! Wow, your explanation was very concise and detailed. It clears up a lot of things for me. Thank you~!

• Administrators

I really think it is quite clear in the above posts what ballon is, dancingostrich. Try reading them again :)