Ballet Talk for Dancers

Starting Ballet In My 40s

PinkSatin

Iteachballet

I was a professional dancer and continued taking class until I was 4 months pregnant with my first child.  I then pretty much stopped dancing for 7 years. A friend of mine, who had her own studio in her house, invited me to join an adult beginner ballet class. After three babies and not a great deal of exercise, I wasn't sure if I'd cope, but when I pulled up my hair and put on my ballet gear, my Dad,who'd come to babysit, remarked how nice it was to have his ballet-dancer daughter back!  I have to say, that the moment I held on to the barre, I knew I'd come home!  That was nearly 40 years ago and, from then on, I continued taking classes twice a week - until Corona hit.  I haven't been able to go back to class and I miss it and my friends there so much.  Although I've been doing my own barre, I am not sure that at my age I will ever be able to go back to a full class now.  That makes me so sad.  Still, reading your stories about starting ballet so late in life, gives me hope that, perhaps when there's a vaccine, I'll pluck up the courage to try and go back.  Even if I only manage half a class, it will be better than nothing............

Redbookish

I'm in my early 60s and still manage a full-on class, although not at your level of professional accomplishment! I really really really miss flying across the floor in big jumps (mine are never very big, but it's the feeling). I'm working out very hard at the gym, so that when it's safe to go back to the studio in person, I'll be fit enough for class.

Iteachballet

I was still doing grand allegro (in a fashion!) up until February this year.  I always loved jumping and that ability miraculously stayed even when I could no longer cope with adage!  Teaching via Zoom on a hard floor in my house has also been disastrous for my joints.  I suppose it had to happen one day, but I so enjoyed putting on my pink tights and taking an adult ballet class. We used to joke that we took class for the coffee socializing afterwards, but it was more than that - it was a need!