Ballet Talk for Dancers
Beezus21

Forrest Academy of Ballet

ManicOrganic79

Yes! Christopher St is very picturesque -- feels almost European, with beautiful restos and cafés and chic looking people walking by.  Very exciting for FABNY!

learningdance

THanks for that Beezus. . .Yep that's the worst crime area in the area. 

ManicOrganic79

To clarify, you are referring to where the studios were formerly located, right?

DanceMumNYC

Since this school only offers intermediate & advanced classes, I was wondering if there was some sort of "feeder" school for this program. Do most of the dancers here transfer from a specific dance school or two and already know each other? (I've seen cases where a school gets an influx of dancers from another particular school). I'm just trying to get a vague understanding of the school's social aspect at the entry level.

Nomadmum

Someone more knowledgeable may be along shortly with a more concise and accurate answer but my daughter joined this year so I can speak to our experience. 
She started ballet at 3 and has studied at various studios with different techniques and teaching styles. Her classmates are a mix of returning students and new ones that come from a variety of schools (local and otherwise) 

I would say that there is not a specific feeder school. The things they have in common are passion for ballet, willingness to work hard, the desire to pursue a career in dance, care for one another,  and respect for their teachers. 

So far, we love everything about the intermediate division. 

If you have questions of concerns about finding the right training for a younger student,  I can almost guarantee that Ms Forrest would happily answer you herself. Send her an email?  (She is very busy and dedicated to her current students so it may take time for a response.)

DanceMumNYC

Thank you for this information.

ManicOrganic79

I concur with the above.

My daughter also started ballet very young and trained at other (mainly Balanchine based) schools, as well as privately, before joining FABNY.

The social atmosphere at FABNY is unusally supportive. 

The school has high standards; they only accept students for whom they see a professional career as a real possibility.

Agreed that Ms. Forrest is busy, but always responsive.

DanceMumNYC

Thank you!

Oreo

Wanted to know if there are any boys at this school? My son has been accepted to many elite programs such as Houston, Ellison, Harid but when he auditioned for her was turned down. Just wondering, what's the story with that?

Beezus21

Hi Oreo,

When I checked out FABNY, there was not a program for boys.  That said, you have acceptances at 3 fabulous schools with dedicated training for male dancers.  Congratulations to your DS!