Ballet Talk for Dancers
DanceMumNYC

Ballet Schools in New York - New York City

DanceMumNYC

I thought it would be helpful to start a thread specifically for NYC, since the other NY locations listed are far from those of us in the city, and we have great schools such as SAB, ABT JKO, and BAE. 

dancemaven

Many of these more well-known schools schools will have their own dedicated threads in the Pre-professional/Residency School Forum, so be sure to check there, as well, as anything more than a general comment about these schools will be found on those threads. 😉👍

DanceMumNYC

Thank you!

MelissaGA

Also MYB, French Academie, Ellison, SLK, Valentina Kozlova, Fabrice Herrault"s private classes, Ailey, Steps, and a few others that I know I am missing! 

Oh and Gelsey Kirkland in Brooklyn.

DanceMumNYC

Yes! These are all great schools. My DD is too young for some, but eventually I'd love for her to take summer intensives to experience all they have to offer.

Do you know how old a student has to be to audition for FAB? I couldn't find anything regarding ages & class schedules on their website. 

spetedancer

DanceMumNYC

On FAB's website it looks like the minimum age is 11. I would also like to add that Erin Forrest is starting her own school this year (Forrest Academy of Ballet). She has an amazing reputation and it looks like the dancers will be given a lot of personal attention due to the small class sizes.

MelissaGA

I remembered the other school I couldn't remember when I posted above- Premiere Division is another small program run by Nadege Hottier who previously worked with Francois Perone at the French Academie of Ballet. 

There are many wonderful teachers and schools in NYC who turn out beautiful dancers.It's a matter of finding the right fit at the right time.  

DanceMumNYC

Thanks MelissaGA. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed by the amount of talent in NYC. There are so many training options that it's hard to decide which school or teacher to move forward with. I've decided to let DD take summer classes at other schools for the experience, but it is hard to determine if that school is a better fit in just a few short weeks.

MelissaGA

As your daughter becomes older and more experienced, she will know. Dd auditioned at a few places but knew where she should be with just one class. There was another she liked, but the connection or "x factor" was just not as strong and would have been an even longer commute, something you needed to take into account almost anywhere you look. It sounds as if your DD is young, so find the place that fits her best for now. Keep your eyes and ears open and if there's a place that fits her needs better later on, she can switch. 

DanceMumNYC

Thanks again, MelissaGA. I am definitely following that advice! B)

LisaRG

Is it very difficult to get into French Academie of Ballet.  My DD has 6 years of dance experience and just started toe.  Her currrent studio is not giving the amount of training needed and im afraid she is behind her peers.  I am considering changing studios and I heard great things about FAB.

Lisa

DanceMumNYC

Hi Lisa, How old is your daughter and what makes you feel she’s behind other dancers her age? It is difficult to get into probably all the schools aforementioned, especially at the pre-professional/teenage level. If you are in the NYC area, they are all still options. My advice would be not to put all of your eggs in one basket. In addition to FAB, perhaps you can encourage your daughter to audition for a few other schools too. Also, is she auditioning for SIs? If you’re considering FAB, perhaps she can do their SI to determine if it’s the right fit. All the best!

anyaaaa

I'm looking into good residential ballet schools in NYC, that aren't the ABT and SAB schools. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

learningdance

In terms of residential schools with a  school sponsored dorm, I think SAB is the only one.  

Here are the ones that I know:

Ballet Academy East 

Ellison

Gelsey Kirkland 

DanceMumNYC

Ballet Academy East, Manhattan Youth Ballet, French Academie of Ballet, Ellison, SLK, Gelsey Kirkland (now in Brooklyn), Forrest Academy of Ballet, Valentina Kozlova..

There are a couple. Are you in the NYC area? If so, it may be insightful to take a drop-in class & see which school is the right fit for you.