Ballet Talk for Dancers

Schedule

Alanapooler

Am I dancing enough for my age? I am 14. 

Monday-

pointe- 3:15-4:15

jazz- 5:15-6:30

Tuesday-

progressive ballet technique (conditioning)- 5:15- 6:15

ballet technique- 6:15-7:45

hip hop- 7:45-9

Wednesday- 

ballet- 4:45- 6

jazz- 8-9:15

Thursday- pointe 7:15-9

Saturday- 10:45-12:15 ballet technique

I also have rehearsals all weekend throughout the whole year, except for the summer. I was out for 5 months due to an ongoing injury last fall but have come back from that pretty quickly from it- I didn't lose any technique and I feel like it really helped me evaluate why I was dancing in the first place. I am getting moved up into the highest level at my studio this year, but I still don't feel like i am good enough. My teachers say they think i have alot of potential and could become a proffesional dancer but I don't know- I look at some other girls at my studio who are insanely good and it does not help my confidence! Should Istart taking privates or something? Sorry this is so long!

Edited by Alanapooler
typo
  • Administrators

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Alanapooler. :)

Your schedule is a bit unusual, and does not really comply with the guidelines we recommend.  Your age and the number of total hours are not really the criteria.  We strongly feel that ballet technique classes should be a minimum of 1.5 hours, and pointe classes should follow the technique class at least 2 or 3 times a week, depending on level. Starting the week with a one hour pointe class doesn't really make sense. You only have one ballet technique class that is 1.5 hours.  At the advanced level you should have 6 days a week of ballet technique and pointe. 

That said, the most important thing is the quality of the training. If you want to be a classical dancer you really need to be in a pre-professional ballet school. Conditioning and jazz are fine, but generally one jazz and one contemporary or modern class would be on the schedule. 

Since you are new here I would like to recommend that you spend some time reading through our  guidelines and previous topics. You will find a LOT of info here about training for a classical ballet career! :)

(I will edit your first post to show the information you posted in the second post. You can always fix your own posts using the Edit button right under the post.)

If you will write to Contact Us and send me two or three choices for a different display name, I will change it for you. We strongly recommend that young dancers do not use their real name on the forums. This is for safety reasons.

I feel like I am getting really good training. Should i still look into taking privates or something?

Edited by Alanapooler
typo
  • Administrators

If you are getting the training you need you should not need privates.  Have you attended any Summer Intensive programs outside of your own school?

Not yet but I am looking into them for this summer. There are auditions for Joffrey and Burklyn at my studio this year, so I will be auditioning for those. I will most likely be auditioning for the Carolina Ballet and UNCSA intensives because they are near me. Do you have any other recommendations?

• Administrators

Alana, we do not recommend programs, but all of the information you need is here on the board in the SI forums topics. 

Please respond to my request for you to change your name.