Ballet Talk for Dancers

Ballet Life goals

Dancing_Queen

I am 16 years old. I am dancing every day in the evening's at a studio in the Midwest, US. I started ballet late. My parents do not want me to train away from home at a ballet school full time and want me to graduateĀ  high school. However, I still want to do become a pro in a regional Ballet company. Any tips on how to get there? Also, any summer intensive suggestions for an beginner/intermediate student that focuses on lots on individual corrections?

• Administrators

Hello Elisa, and welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers. I moved your topic to the Young Dancers Forum because you areĀ  still a teen. :)

You are training at a good Regional Ballet Company School, which is a good thing. Starting late makes everything harder and success later, but it's not impossible if you have the facility, the drive, the passion, and of course the talent. At this point in time going away to a school is probably not an option, as you have limited training. I would suggest that you continue to get as much training as you possibly can right where you are, and try to get to the point where you can join the pre-pro classes. You will need to get as many classes as you can at your level, and hope to progress to where you can join the classes at the pre-pro level. Talk to the School Director and ask for guidance in terms of what you will need to do to move into that program . Sixteen is late, but not always impossible, but you will need to get to the level which will provide daily technique classes, pointe classes, and rehearsal and performance experience. There are no laws saying one cannot do it by starting late. It will just take longer.