Ballet Talk for Dancers

Thank-you tprice.  We were trying to understand how it compares with where DD is currently, which is a HS/College program which has three levels.  I take it by their senior year there are a lot more students in level 4.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• glissade_jete

• kdintx

• Lady Elle

• dcns

NavigatingMom

Just wondering if anyone knows of dancers who received acceptance from regional second auditions? My D is doing a second audition as she was not accepted from her first audition and the one that fits in our schedule is a regional audition. 

lilacfairyliz

Yes, it is possible to be accepted from regional auditions, as well as video auditions. I am a current student and know many people in my freshmen class who auditioned at regional auditions.

• 10 months later...

Can anyone tell me if there is a certain body type they are looking for at OU?  Are they very strict about weight?  I have a dancer that would like to to send in a video, but is a little more on the curvy side.  Does anyone happen to know how many freshman they accept each year?  Thank you.

My DD is there. The dancers are a range of heights and body types.  While I can't say from the faculty perspective,  having watched the performances,  the dancers are a talented group.  It is a smaller program and competitive and they treat the dancers very much like a Company.  The class levels and casting are based on ability,  not by class year. 

• 1 month later...

Could I ask those who were accepted into the dance program whether they went ahead and signed the notice of intent? (We are still waiting on academic acceptance). The letter mentions that to be considered for a School of Dance scholarship, it would need to be sent in and it is not a binding document. We are still waiting on results from other schools. We don't want to miss out on a scholarship opportunity, but if the situation works out better at another program, we might feel bad about declining a potential offer. Am I thinking about it too much? Thanks in advance.

CarringtonWoods

We received it and have not signed it for the same reasons. It's hard navigating auditions this year and I don't think you are overthinking it.

• 1 month later...
Marzipandreams

We got the acceptance to the school yesterday and notice of an academic scholarship for out of state students. Very exciting, first college acceptance for my d. (She didn't apply early.)  No word on dance scholarship. They need to rework our financial aid since they did not give us the academic common market discount since Delaware is a part of that and has no dance major. 

Marzipandreams

Balletgem, how does your dd like Oklahoma? We haven't visited yet due to COVID. Is your dancer planning to dance professionally upon graduation? Thanks!

balletgem

My DD has been extremely happy with the program,  from both an academic and dance perspective. 

Her 1st year (pre covid) the instructors were all excellent,  clearly training them to be professionals, every thing from how to work their feet in their pointe shoes, to makeup for the performances to rehearsals etc. The students do an audition for OFB Oklahoma Festival Ballet or the Contemporary Company(the companies of the OU dance department). While everyone is given a position as either Apprentice or Company member, the audition is run like a professional audition. They did Nutcracker the 1st year, which was cast based on talent and ability not by grade or whether they were apprentice of company.  For example,  the role of Sugar Plum was a freshman and a Senior.  There were additional opportunities to perform in the Young Choreographic Showcase,  and Opera. As a freshman, students are not able to audition for the Contemporary Main stage, but can as an upperclassmen.  OU also has developed an alliance with Oklahoma City Ballet in which there is typically an audition class and a few dancers are selected by the Artistic Director of OKCB to participate as Studio Company members.  DD is part of this program and was able to perform in the OKCB Nutcracker this past December. With Covid regulations the University has done a good job getting the students back on campus and they have had been able to dance live in the studios since fall, with the exception of the period of time between Thanksgiving and January.  They are back dancing and will have the performances of the Young Choreographic Showcase to a live audience in a few weeks.  They plan to have the Main stage performance in April and will soon begin casting and rehearsals for that. My DD does plan to dance professionally after college and feels she is being well trained to be able to do so. She had to decide between the College route vs straight to Company,  but felt that if she was going to do additional training,  she would rather be getting her degree at the same time, and this is certainly a strong enough program to still be prepared to audition for Companies. 

Director Bearden is very supportive of the students getting dual degrees or Major/minor and will work with students to make sure it works. I know of at least one student who danced with a different technique class time to be able to get a class required in her other major. 

In some ways it's actually been a little easier with some academic class being virtual. 

I hope this is helpful.  In addition,  the campus is beautiful. 

Marzipandreams

Balletgem, this is so very helpful!!! Thank you for sharing your daughter's experience. I agree with your daughter's choice to get college credit while training to be a professional dancer. My d is still undecided about which path, and we have planned for both. I love hearing the details of classes and training. My d loves performing, and it's super she will get a chance. Right now, Oklahoma ranks high on the college list. I hope we can visit this spring!!

balletgem

I highly recommend visiting the campus and if possible observing a class of present students.  It will give your DD a sense of whether or not it is the best fit for her. When deciding between programs, my DD definitely felt that this helped make her final choice. She has never regretted it for a moment. 

CarringtonWoods

While you can visit campus, I believe the school of dance is closed to visitors because of covid. 

Marzipandreams

Thanks, Balletgem and CarringtonWoods for the advice!

Marzipandreams

My d  will be auditioning on the 13th for the dance program. Fingers crossed!! We may have to do it from home as our ballet school studios are all busy on Saturday mornings. We might be able to use her high school studio, but I'm sure they will understand if she does it at home.  Pandemic make-dos!!