Ballet Talk for Dancers

Thank you, ballettalkgrm for letting us know about O.U. We travel there tomorrow hopeful of good things.

• Replies 759
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• glissade_jete

• dcns

• kdintx

• Lady Elle

Impressions  of Oklahoma U.:

• Excellent tour guides and fun tour
  • Beautiful campus, we loved the Cherokee Gothic architecture
  • Dorms were good
  • Overall impression of O.U. good
  • Campus Corner is ok (shops and restaurants across from school that students use.) 3 headshops in one block seems excessive!!
  • We could not get a hotel room or b-n-b close to campus. 
  • We liked the dance dept. and saw the Festival Ballet Theatre spring show.
  • We liked some of the choreography. Costumes and staging were good. Some of the dancers were excellent.

Major drawback: Norman is not a happening college town!

• 2 weeks later...

Hey!  I'm a mom of a junior ballet major at OU.  Norman can be a pretty happening college town when sports are happening and life is a little more normal.  Now... it's not much of anything other than a college town but that's when you go to OKC to get a little more sophisticated happenings.  And... dance majors often don't really have a whole lot of time for that anyway.  I have always stayed at air BnB's close to campus.  Maybe not super close but a decent walk close.  This year was kind of an odd year to judge shows as the choreographers for the pieces were often teaching over zoom and there were more pieces choreographed by the dance faculty in this spring performance than usual.  And of course all the rehearsals were in "pods" and distanced.  No partnering at all.  So... 

Thanks, Lady Elle, for the student view point. Hard to tell in a pandemic when so much is shut down. We do need to get to see more of Oklahoma in general. Next time, we will rent a car. That will make it a lot easier than Ubering! Thanks for the input. Odds are my dd will commit there!

Decision made--my baby is a Sooner!! We are going to learn everything about Oklahoma and go Crimson!! Super excited to have this major decision made!! What a tough year for all of the high school seniors, but we will be able to have an outdoor graduation and my dd is having a prom, unlike last year's grads. Go class of 2025!!

Congratulations to her (and you!). Thank you for taking the time to share her journey here.

Thanks, fouronlychildren! I found in terms of scholarships to ask for what you need. Indiana U. offered more when we appealed, but it wasn't enough. Oklahoma came thru when we said it would make a difference. Good luck to all of the freshman class!

Thank you, InTheWings and classicmom!