Ballet Talk for Dancers
ascballerina

DVD/Videos: The King who Invented Ballet

ascballerina

The King Who Invented Ballet

I just found this documentary and can’t believe I haven’t heard of it before.  It’s a marvelous dive into the history of ballet during Louis XIV’s life (and of course, the life of the king himself), side-by-side with a “making of” documentary for a ballet that is sort of a modern re-imagining of Ballet de la nuit.  The icing on the cake is you get to actually see the ballet at the end.  I can’t express how much this needs to be a regular thing.  So many documentaries about dance you get all the buildup for the performance and then if you’re lucky, perhaps five minutes of the final product at the end.  This contains the entire half-hour ballet at the end and it’s so amazing to see the full ballet that you’ve been seeing snippets of in rehearasal for the past hour.  Totally worth watching!

Clara 76

THANK YOU!!!!!! I will get right on with the watching!!!!

5uptown

This is great, thank you for sharing. Connecting the early professionalization of ballet to the larger historical and political context is so interesting, as is the opportunity to see the dancing.