Ballet Talk for Dancers
Momof3darlings

2018 College Congrats! Let's Celebrate!

Lady Elle

Congratulations Amie, and your dd of course.  Great advice on the process.

julisha

Wonderful news, Amie. Congratulations to you and your daughter!

Amie

Thank you dancingjet, Lady Elle and julisha!  Everyone's support has been so helpful through this whole process.

Momof3darlings

Congratulations Amie!  To you and your DK.  

As your dancers get settled in next year, please continue to update us about not only their journey but what you learn as you transition from dancer parent to the parent of a college dancer.  We would love to keep the college program threads live with current info.  

tutumama

Momof3darlings, I'd love to post an update but it will be hard for some programs that don't have threads for them. My daughter will be at Rutgers-Mason/Gross which is a spilt ballet/modern program.  Thoughts?

Momof3darlings

tutumama-I will check with the Moderating Team to see how to handle it and get back with you.  Good question!

whippet2me

Congratulations to all those accepted and pursuing their art through college.  I have really appreciated reading this years" Senior Class" notes to help me prepare for my DD senior year/ college search.  Super Grateful for all of you!

librarygirl

I missed this thread previously - but since I wouldn't have had anything to add to it until recently, just as well I am finding it now!

Main/Most recent training: Pre-professional ballet school (Vaganova) in Chicago area and then Ballet Chicago (Balanchine). Also voice lessons and high school drama productions - he was dance captain in every show he was in throughout high school! He did three summer intensives with Ballet Chicago and classes during the year - can't say enough good things about what that studio did for him.

Level of school completed: brick and mortar high school

Audition method: live audition, dance, voice, monologue for the school he is attending; for the rest of his auditions, music theater and one dance program audition, he did both prescreens and live auditions

School attending: Boston Conservatory at Berklee, Music Theatre major

Position process/progress: He was initially on the waitlist for BoCo. After all decisions were in, he decided to do a gap year, dance at Ballet Chicago in their studio company, and take auditions as they came up. Then he was accepted at BoCo but with no scholarship money (and we had said when he applied that he could only go there if he received scholarship $ because of the cost). So the gap year plan was still in place. After discussions with the dance faculty member at BoCo who had seen him audition and was his advocate for admission (we found out because she was the one who called to tell him he got in!), we decided to send him to their 3-week music theater dance summer intensive. He wanted an opportunity to do dance other than ballet and also to experience other faculty members at BoCo in voice and acting - and this way he could also determine if he wanted to re-audition. He loved the experience, and they apparently loved him, too. Labor Day weekend, he received a scholarship offer that made it possible for it to work, so in a whirlwind, we packed him up and sent him off to school! He jumped right in and will be in their fall production of A Chorus Line! He is loving it so far and we are so glad that everything fell into place for him!

Words of wisdom about the process/decisions:  I have been so grateful for this site through the years of having a dancing boy! I don't know what my advice would be. I agree that visits can be helpful, but that's not always easy to do. Performances on YouTube can be a good insight into programs. There were places initially on his list that didn't make it to the end because the dance component was so important to him, even a few where he got good scholarships! He got into places that were unexpected (BoCo!), and didn't get into others that we thought were a good fit. I can only advise patience and trust that somehow things will work out! And I would have given that same advice 6 weeks ago when I thought he was going to be home for another year!

gasguzzler

Congratulations to you and your DS that is wonderful news!

whippet2me

Congratulations to your son Library Girl!  Sounds like a perfect fit🌟

CVan

Wonderful!  Congratulations to your DS!

dancerdancer

Congratulations! That's fantastic news!

Momof3darlings

Congratulations!!!!