Ballet Talk for Dancers
Momof3darlings

2018/19 Full Company Contracts: Apprentice, Corp, etc.

fun en face

Congratulations to your DD! Well done! Thank you for sharing her story. 

Suzie1

Main Training: Early training with School with company attached, later training with former professionals who opened a school.

Level of Schooling: High School graduate

Position granted: Corps de ballet

Position progress: Promoted from Apprentice

Location of Company: US

I am very excited for my DD, she has been promoted to company dancer after 2 years as an Apprentice. The company contract offers weekly pay, pointe shoes, health insurance and 401k. She has really developed as an artist with this company and they have given her opportunities that have really helped her to grow. She has had her share of ups and downs on this journey. But through it all she has shown determination and courage. I am so proud of her. I wish I had some words of wisdom.The only thing I know I is that it has been a long difficult road getting here, and that it is a result of many years of hard work, prayers, and her refusal to give up.

Ballet_Mage

Congratulations to your DD!  

gasguzzler

Congrats to you and your DD Suzie1!

Eligus

Suzie1... Congratulations to you and your DD.

Just curious... is the company where your DD was hired as corps member the same company attached to the school where she originally trained?  And was she apprentice for 2 years at the same company that hired her? 

No need to share if I'm asking personal questions, I'm just curious about others' journeys....  as you say, lots of work and prayers and determination required.

Suzie1

Eligus,   No, her contract is not with the company attached to the school that she originally trained with. She was there for many years but left when she was a sophomore in high school. And yes, she was promoted from Apprentice to company member. This will be her third season with them. 

Ballet_Mage

Thanks for sharing her journey Suzie1.  

dancerdancer

Congratulations Suzie1!! Thanks for sharing. Enjoy this time of celebration for you and your daughter!!

ballet1310

Congratulations!!!

tentative

Congratulations!! 

labrador

Yay!

CakeMom

Congratulations!! and thank you so much for sharing her story.

Immashel

Congratulations to your DD and I wish her all the best on her journey as a professional dancer. 

NYCMOM

Congratulations to your DD, Suzie1!  All the best to her as she begins her professional career.

pbs

Main/Most recent training: 9 years at big, 3 letter school, completed training at large/mid-sized school; 2 years at 2 different Studio Companies 

Level of school completed: high school grad
Audition method: None. DS guested for this small, regional company and was offered a corps position
Position granted: Corps de ballet
Position process/progress: see above

Location of company: US
Was this contract offered at a competition or because of competition attendance? No

What words of wisdom would you offer those coming behind you about your journey or what you've learned being in the journey? Pursuing a ballet career is incredibly hard, can be cruel and unfair and takes a special kind of dancer to push through it, regardless of the level of talent. Cannot overstate that in this field you truly do 'have' to love it. If you're achieving progressive levels of success, keep believing in yourself. Realize that ballet is a business. Continually make and USE your contacts; do not be shy. This is still early days in my DS' career, but he is pushing himself to keep moving forward and his efforts are paying off!