Ballet Talk for Dancers
Momof3darlings

2018/19 Full Company Contracts: Apprentice, Corp, etc.

ballet1310

Congrats PBS!

pbs

Thanks to all!

Suzie1

mom2two, My DD was notified mid season after she got back from Nutcracker break.  However she had done a couple of other auditions before she knew about being promoted into the company, so she was waiting to hear back from those to make her final decision.  And I wanted to wait until she actually got her contract and signed it before sharing anything.

Suzie1

Thank you all so much! I am so happy for her!

Eligus

I was re-reading this thread and thinking about "timing" and "age" -- is it too much personal information to ask the dancer's age at receiving the company professional contract in the form filled out? I know schooling level is discussed, but you can finish schooling "early" or "late." 

I know this has been discussed previously, but -- other than Narfie's DD (who was hired from cattle call auditions at 17!  :speechless:) --  it appears that the contract offering age is sliding upwards from younger (16-17yo -- "back in the day" of baby ballerinas) to older (after college, after 2 or more years of training -- so around 18+).  I'm assuming this trends tracks with the "pay to train" phenom that has been discussed.

Obviously, there are dancers being offered professional contracts this year at what I consider a young age (17 and under), but I still feel this is the exception, rather than the norm.  Or am I just in the midst of the "trees" too much to see the forest?  My own DD is right in the middle of this age/stage, so trends in this area are certainly interesting to me, but I am unsure I can see them. 

I was just wondering whether if we could learn ages of the dancer when the professional contracts were offered, that would help the analysis?  But I don't want people to give out too much personal information.... and I'm not certain it would be helpful information, considering the individualistic nature of the journey to Rome....

pbs

Eligus: For DS, his corps contract came right after he turned 20.

It does seem that more companies today are open to initial hiring at older ages (as you say, post college, and the like), which is interesting. So, I think that dancers don't necessarily need to feel they are somehow behind the curve if they are not apprentices at 17. That said, the competition is still brutal (my opinion) and hiring practices definitely vary by company.

Monet

Eligus, I was curious about the same thing.  My DD was offered her contract at 17 after a company class audition.  

Eligus

Thank you for sharing, guys!

Monet -- was that this year?  Or awhile ago? 

NYCMOM

For my DD, her actual company contract came at 21.  Path was HS graduation, 2 years at large company trainee program, 1 year as trainee at her current, mid-sized company, then corps  contract.  

Monet

Eligus, It was March 2017.  She just finished her first year with the company and is returning again for the 2018-2019 season.

ballet1310

Thanks for sharing everyone.  All this is very helpful !

Noodles

I love these added details, thank you for sharing!

Monet

If it helps, DD's path was moved away from home at 15, did online high school auditioned at 17 offered a contract.  Unfortunately she has not gone to college yet, I am still crossing my fingers for that!! Also to note at 17 she was the youngest at every audition she went to most by many many years.  And one AD commented that he loved smart dancers that had gone to  college.  

Ballet_Mage

Thank you all for the added information (thank you Elgus for asking-you know I not brave enough and desperately wanted to know). You are all helping to put together the look of several journeys to the current transition/level up phase.

Clutterbug

DD graduated high school/part time ballet  at 16, moved overseas a month later for full time ballet course (now 17). Offered first paid contract at 19 whilst still studying. Graduated with BA (classical ballet) 4 months later. With hindsight I think she probably should have done more ballet between 14 and 17 years.