Ballet Talk for Dancers
alaseconde

DD Quitting Ballet After Dream Opportunity?

AB'sMom

Also, cast A and cast B is just a way to differentiate between the two casts, one is not better than the other. It’s not like the A team and the B team in sports. 

alaseconde

Edited by alaseconde

AB'sMom

It’s fine. You’re still anonymous and your questions are still valid. I’m probably less anonymous based on the totality of my posts but I don’t think people on these boards are trying to publicly out anyone. I was just trying to point out that our daughters have similar experiences with SI acceptances and performance opportunities, but that there are schools where the students aren’t ignored or treated badly based on those successes. 

alaseconde

Not sure how to erase entire thread but erased my content. Thanks for help. 

Edited by alaseconde

dancemaven

Alaseconde,  as a moderator, I will say that we would prefer that you had contacted us before deleting your posts.  We do not encourage wholesale deletions of entire posts within a thread.  We would have been happy to help craft more anonymity. 

This thread now makes no sense and is of no value to anyone else who may be dealing with these issues, either now or in the future. 

Our members were genuinely invested in trying to help you sort through the issues you brought up for discussion.  Hopefully, the discussion was of some value to you. Many members took time to try to help. 

We do hope you will continue to participate and interact in our community.  :)  We look forward to getting to know you. 

Noodles

Alaseconde, you do not need to worry so much about your anonymity, you did not reveal too much in the way of specifics and you could have easily gone back and edited a few key points, and you would have been fine. Unfortunately, we all use each others different scenarios and situations to learn from and I am sure there was good information in this thread that would have served others in their journey and their search for information. I am sorry that you deleted everything.

One finally tidbit of unsolicited advice...ballet is a slow process. I know that you are probably feeling a lot of pressure because some things have happened very quickly for your dancer, but trust me...if she keeps dancing there will be many highs, many lows and much time scratching your head trying to figure things out. This is a safe place to ask questions. Stay connected here and just try to breathe. Your dancer's view may completely change by the time September rolls around.

alaseconde

dancemaven, 

Thank you!

Edited by alaseconde

AB'sMom

Are you implying that I was not being helpful and that I would have somehow tried to “expose” your daughter? If so I have to say that I am offended. We have DDs with similar paths and I am merely trying to tell you that there are quality studios with warm, welcoming students in your area. You implied that perhaps your daughter was wanting to quit ballet because she wasn’t happy in her training environment. 

alaseconde

AB’s Mom,

Just a very private person. No offense intended.

Edited by alaseconde

Noodles

Alaseconde, really there are so many parents here with 13 yr old dancers from all over the place. No one is trying to identify you and out you and your daughter. We all come here under the veil of anonymity and respect that in others as well. That is just how this site is run.

I can't even tell you how many parents I have spoken to whose dancer would be attending the same SI as mine....we are all here to share, support and learn.

alaseconde
3 hours ago, Noodles said:

Alaseconde, you do not need to worry so much about your anonymity, you did not reveal too much in the way of specifics and you could have easily gone back and edited a few key points, and you would have been fine. Unfortunately, we all use each others different scenarios and situations to learn from and I am sure there was good information in this thread that would have served others in their journey and their search for information. I am sorry that you deleted everything.

One finally tidbit of unsolicited advice...ballet is a slow process. I know that you are probably feeling a lot of pressure because some things have happened very quickly for your dancer, but trust me...if she keeps dancing there will be many highs, many lows and much time scratching your head trying to figure things out. This is a safe place to ask questions. Stay connected here and just try to breathe. Your dancer's view may completely change by the time September rolls around.

Edited by alaseconde

Noodles

I get it. You should spend some time reading and getting a feel for the forum. It is the norm for people to chime in when they either have a similar experience or when they have experience at the same school/SI. If you spend some time here exchanging stories and information you will quickly see how it works.

Not to be disrespectful, but we all have our own dancers with their own challenges to worry about, and to be frank, no one has time to be concerned with what others are doing....if you know what I mean. We all are juggling all that ballet entails and for most of us, keeping track of our own kiddos is more than enough :-)

alaseconde

If there’s a way to delete this thread and start over, I would be eternally grateful. 

logollady

(Trying to quote your post, but since you deleted, I can't, so I will copy and paste from another's post)
9 hours ago, alaseconde said:

Come to think ... this could be her fear of the “real” SI. Young Dancer Workshop is age 9-12 and low key. The 5-week age 13+ is officially the big leagues (plus kids from all over world). No one is there to “have fun” (I swear if one more person in my life advises that ...). These kids are fierce and angling for a future contract. They’re like crowdfunding for tuition and board all year. It’s pretty serious. Definitely not Camp Chippewa

I will say that many of us on these boards have attended the SI in question, and we have first-hand experience with the environment there (DD has been to the one you are referencing), and I want to caution you against of building up an image in your mind before you actually attend the 5 week program. Yes, your daughter may encounter one or two seriously competitive girls there, but mostly the dancers are all in the same boat; excited, hardworking, nervous, wanting to make new friends etc. From my DD's experience, the girls she met there were ones who will be lifelong friends. She even dances with some of them now that she is at her full time program. Ballet is such a community, and although competitive, also very supportive. My DD LOVED LOVED LOVED the SI in question... so although it isn't "Camp Chippewa", it is close!  :)

alaseconde

Logollady,

Thank you!