Jump to content
Ballet Talk for Dancers

What do they call Russian ronde de jambes in Russia?


Recommended Posts

Quick question: what is the real name for Russian ronde de jambes?    Thanks. :rolleyes:

Link to comment
  • Administrators

Sorry, CreativeDancer, but I have never heard of “Russian” rond de jambe. Can you describe it, please?  

Link to comment

I too do not know what that is!!

Link to comment

A quick Googe gives me that sometimes a double rond de jambe is called a 'Russian rond de jambe'. But I've never heard the term 'Russian rond de jambe' in either Cecchetti or RAD terminology.

Link to comment

Thank you Redbook. I wonder how it is done??

No such term in Vaganova.

Link to comment

Is it OK to post a link to a YouTube video? Here's the mention of Russian rond de jambe that Google picked up for me -  looks like an ordinary double rond de jambe en l'air to me - although done beautifully, and at a height of extension that I've only ever achieved a handful of times! 


Another beautiful film of a Vaganova examination, in a studio that I'm sure will be familiar to you, VRS! To me, a lowly perpetual adult beginner learner, it is a venerable extraordinary place, and these dancers are super-heroes!

Link to comment

The Russian teachers I study with do a half ronde de jambe par terre with a full one. Sometimes the half is at double time speed - essentially two in one count. Is that what you might mean? 

Link to comment

I'm familiar with that referred to simply as a double rond de jambe a terre. i've been taught it as two full ronds de jambe a terre in the same count as one usually after 2 or 3 slower ronds.

Link to comment

Google also suggested it’s a term used instead of gargoulliard. 

Link to comment

I’ve never heard of a Russian RDJ either! Waiting with baited breath for a description :)

Link to comment

Wow. Thank you for so many replies. I think my email settings forgot to tell me.

 I am thinking of 1. dégagé devant --> small attitude --> 2. bring to 90 + degrees a la seconde --> 3. bring to tendu derrière position. Or start derrière and finish devant.

Thank you.


Link to comment

CreativeDancer in Vaganova schooling the movement you have described is called grand ronde jeté en de hors. It is also done en dedans. 

Edited by vrsfanatic
Misread the description. Had to correct my mistake
Link to comment

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Create New...