Ballet Talk for Dancers
LJens

How to pay for training?

LJens

My son got in to a few summer intensives and we could not afford them. He even got in to ABT. He wants a professional career. I am worried about the future and how to pay for these classes to help him reach his goal. He is at an excellent school right now that has a very strong boys program. Some of the boys have been going off to professional programs after graduation. I feel so bad about not being able to afford this stuff, but there must be a way. Any suggestions?

5uptown

How old is your son? I think the advice will depend a lot on where he is at in his training. 

Ballet dragon

Ballet training is expensive, even for boys.  I am aware of several very reputable training programs that offer generous scholarships to boys.  You can find them here at BT4D.  I am aware of a few of them: Harid, Ballet Arizona, CPYB.  Others may offer financial aid, while some provide work study opportunities that offset tuition costs.  You should feel comfortable respectfully asking if there are mechanisms to reduce the tuition for either summer intensives or year-around programs.  

nynydancer

I totally agree with Ballet Dragon.  With a boy, you can definitely find some training options on scholarships.  CPYB has a deadline coming up in June for what looks like a very generous scholarship program.  I have boy and a girl, and it's so much easier for my boy to get on scholarship vs my girl-- and the girl is arguably "better".  Don't beat yourself about not being able to afford everything-- it's a struggle for many of us.  You should always ask the school of your choice for help.  At a top ballet summer program for men last year, I met a few older boys (like 18, 19 years) with holes in their tights and really doing things on the cheap.  One was even couch surfing.  But they did it.

5uptown

If he is an older teen and has received no scholarship offers at all, I think you need to ask his teachers (or an outside trusted person) if there is a reason for this. Did he not audition widely enough? Is he behind in his training? Did you not apply to any schools that offer need-based aid (or did you not fill out those forms)? From what I've learned already with my own son (who is relatively young), and also by talking to other parents, and reading on this board-- acceptances and scholarship offers can be a bit hit or miss, so its important to cast a wider net if financial assistance is necessary for your family. While its absolutely a myth that all boys are getting scholarships everywhere, it seems many schools do have money allocated to recruit male dancers, and so you need to find the right fit and the school that can offer that to your son. 

What do I do? Since our family cannot afford the full price of residential summer training right now, I look at schools that have need-based financial aid, or have a track record of giving good scholarships to boys. My son auditions for more programs than seems necessary to me at his age. And he has had to turn down some very sought-after programs because we can't afford them (we do that politely and in as timely a manner as possible). He has stayed local and lived at home while training for some years. But, my son has also been very fortunate and will soon embark on his fourth summer of absolutely wonderful training opportunities which we can afford due to the generosity of the schools. As he gets older, we may eventually decide that it is "worth it" for one of us parents to take on a second or seasonal job to pay for a summer intensive if he doesn't get the kind of scholarships that one hears about. 

Also, remember that going to a "three-letter" school isn't the only way to get great summer training, and everything I have heard indicates to me that bigger scholarships to those programs are more likely as the boys get older. If your home studio has a good track record of placing older teen boys, then perhaps you have a good resource there with your local studio and they can help you understand what to expect, and when. And he may not need to go away for summer training right now. 

LJens

He received scholarship offers, just not high enough to make it workable for us. However, he only auditioned to three places, got in to two, and scholarship to one.

5uptown

LJens, perhaps next year he should make sure to do more auditions, and include some options that are known for awarding boys scholarships, and maybe some that are either local to you (eliminating the cost of travel and room and board) or are in a location where you might have friends or family that could house him for less than the typical dorm costs. There are some schools, though not many, which do offer need-based aid in the summer, and they will say that in their program descriptions. We have turned down some very sought-after programs because the cost would have been prohibitive once I considered travel and room and board. I am still glad my son got to have the audition experience, but for now, we are not able to make that work for him. I still don't see how old he is, because your strategy and the urgency of his need to go to summer residential training will depend a lot on whether he is 12 or 17, or somewhere in between. Its fine if you don't want to share here (as a boy mom, I understand that its often very easy to figure out who particular boys are, since there just aren't that many of them), but maybe discuss with his teachers what they think his summer training needs are and where he might be accepted with more financial help. 

librarygirl

We have said many times that this path is for people with lots of money or no money. For those of us who find ourselves in the middle, it's not easy! My DS had to turn down a college acceptance this spring because of $. It would be a perfect place for him, but we can't afford it and don't want him saddled with debt. The good news is that there are many paths, and he will find another one! It sounds like your son is in a great place right now, so maybe you don't need to send him away. And as others have said, widen your net next time, or find ways to supplement what he already has if that is possible. Good luck!

dancemaven

Oops!  Someone without a male dancer posted by mistake, so a post was removed.  Just a reminder that all may read, but only Parents of Boy Dancers May post in this Forum. :)