Ballet Talk for Dancers
Mmp

Hoping to improve my technique with ballet

Mmp

I'm a professional performer who needs to work on improving her dance skills. I took ballet all my years of dance training (16 years) but never pursued it seriously beyond a once weekly class I took among other classes. I need to work on my dancing in general for auditions and I think ballet would give me a strong base that would translate to anything. My knowledge of ballet is still pretty strong so I'm not clueless, I just need to physically do it.

I also teach at the studio I grew up in but I only teach ballet to the younger recreational students. I teach other styles to the more advanced students however they do train in ballet, just not with me, we have a full time ballet teacher for students who choose to concentrate on ballet and advanced students that we require to take ballet. I actually take ballet classes from her with the students when I can. 

I can chime in on questions about auditions and professional performing but since my performing experience isn't in ballet I'll keep any commentary vague so I don't go off topic but universal things like preparing for an audition or becoming an equity performer/unions feel free to ask me anything.

I always enjoyed ballet and regret not being more serious about it.

Victoria Leigh

Welcome, Mmp. Great that you are taking ballet classes, as it certainly can help many things!  Most important is to enjoy it, and, we hope you will enjoy our discussions on BTforD. 

Mmp

Where all is it appropriate for me to post? 

I have years of experience teaching, am I able to post in the teachers boards even though my primary focus isn't ballet? I obviously wouldn't try to give out advice on ballet technique beyond my little kiddies but general teacher questions or studio questions, flexibility and strength I'm a qualified teacher. I just don't want to step on any toes.

dancemaven

Thank you for asking, Mmp.  Many of our Forums are general forums where folks may post their personal experiences.  We do, however, have several restricted Forums where only those members of a certain demographic are allowed to post (along with Moderators and Administrators).  These include: the two Parents’ Forums, Parents of Boys, Men’s Forum, Adult Dancers Forum, the Young Dancer Forums, and the Teachers’ Forums.  The guidelines for each restricted Forums are found in the Pinned Topics at the topic of the individual Forum’s index page.

As for the Teachers’ Forum, it is restricted to full-time ballet teachers only, ie., those teachers that earn their living teaching ballet.

I would encourage you to take a little time to nose around the Board to get a feel for what all is offered here, how things work, and I’m sure you’ll get the hang of things quickly. DO take the time to read our Rules and Policies, as we are a highly moderated Board and do enforce those, so it helps everyone to be familiar with those.

We look forward to you joining our discussions and getting to know you. :D