Ballet Talk for Dancers
Kerrida

Etiquette Regarding Asking for Corrections

Kerrida

Well, class size exploded today to have a dozen or more so I didn't inquire about possibility of corrections. However, did get to snag a few moments to get some clarifications which will help. I now have some advice on checking my knee alignment without destroying other aspects of alignment, and she did mention that from what she's seen it's not something that's really been an issue for me. I'll take that good news and use it to focus on building the muscle memo.

AncientDancer, there's certainly nothing wrong with coming for fun, but the situation you described would drive me batty!  I am glad that the teacher was able to recognize you were looking for more and able to offer suggestions for where you could get what you were looking for.

DaPixie

I teach ballet to adults, and whenever I have new students, I always ask them what their goals are. Knowing what they want to achieve helps me decide how to approach them in class. Some students really want corrections. Others feel too shy, so I offer them corrections after class or I suggest additional private classes. Others just want to take class, and not necessarily learn anything new. Those I just leave alone or give general corrections to the whole class, hoping they will get something from them.

Daemya

Hi! I've been taking ballet as an adult for about seven years now and I wish I could go back in time and tell 'beginner me' about getting '1 on 1' private coaching sessions in the beginning. I think there's just so much for a teacher to deal with in an adult class including all of the pitfalls described by the other comments. It is soooo worth it to get even just one or two private lessons just to go over the 'how' and the 'feel' of proper placement and technique. It's such a specific thing to teach properly and I could have saved myself a lot of time and pain and 're-learning' if I had someone to work with privately in the beginning. Just another option to consider!

Kerrida

I didn't even think that such would be an option, but last week I overheard her mentioning it as one of the other ladies asked about it. It's something that's been sitting in the back of my head as a possibility in the future. It's something I might consider after I can get to doing more than one class a week so that I can get more benefit from such an opportunity. I am absolutely taking advantage of being able to ask questions after class though.