Ballet Talk for Dancers
Sign in to follow this  
Redbookish

Your favourite NYC teachers or classes or studios?

Redbookish

Calling all adult ballet students who take class in New York (Manhattan really). I'm going to be there on a work trip in mid-July - only for Friday to Tuesday, sadly. But I usually take a few classes when I'm in NYC, mostly Steps & Peridance. There are teachers I've really liked whom I seek out - I've really enjoyed classes with Jamie Salmon, Dorit Koppel, and Kat Wildish.

I'm "old" in dancer terms (heading for 60 later this year), and I know that my body is getting less able to do some things. So - while I still can, I've decided that I want to "collect" different experiences with different kinds of teachers.

I know I'll never be a brilliant dancer, but I teach performing arts, and so I want to learn different approaches and different ways of working within the ballet vocabulary. I really enjoy the exposure to Russian-influenced teaching when I take class in the USA - in comparison with the kind of RAD/English approach here in the UK.

So who are your picks for interesting and envigorating dance teaching styles currently in NYC? I'm generally a bit of a coward and do Advanced Beginner level, but have done "slow" Intermediate level at Peridance and survived, and been quite OK.