Ballet Talk for Dancers
Graceful711

Just like that....it's over

Elf Font

Graceful711, thank you for sharing your experience here. Your daughter sounds wise and mature beyond her years. As cat11 pointed out, every dancer will eventually change their level of participation with dance at some time in their life - the fact that she is doing it with deliberation and with much thought will help her choose the next steps. Once she is able to put a little more time and distance between her previous dance life and her new path, she may be able to figure out and distill what was it about pursuing ballet that was so compelling for her, and which aspects of that journey does she want to try to replicate, what does she want to leave behind. 

Graceful711

Thank you all so much.  Your support means the world to both dd and myself.  We will move onto the next adventure.  She is smiling and feeling good about the future, and that's all I can ask for.  Wishing you and all your dancers much success in whatever form that takes.  xo

Eligus
On ‎7‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:48 AM, Elf Font said:

Once she is able to put a little more time and distance between her previous dance life and her new path, she may be able to figure out and distill what was it about pursuing ballet that was so compelling for her, and which aspects of that journey does she want to try to replicate, what does she want to leave behind. 

This is lovely and very, very true, as well as life-affirming. 

I am so glad you realize, Graceful711, that there will be times of doubt, worry and joy and excitement, all mixed together and at all different times.  Peace and joy to your whole family.... 

Theshortone3

My DD has been away this summer at BB SDP and has also come to the conclusion that she no longer wants to peruse ballet. She has decided that she doesn’t want all the pressure and anxiety it produces, as she has always been very successful. She will still dance, but is taking a break from intense ballet training. Her second love is modern and contemporary. That is what she will focus on for now. Best of luck in your journey as well. 

TISAHE

My dd has also reached this decision. After a little more than a week of her SI, she told us that she will be concentrating on school for her senior year and can't wait to go to college. She is excited to explore new interests and have the chance to concentrate on her academics. I have to say that I am breathing a sigh of relief. Although our family has a lot of experience with jobs in the arts, the path to a career in ballet has seemed particularly arbitrary and difficult. Good luck to all of your children. I hope they find something that fulfills them, whether it is ballet or something else.

Momof3darlings

I applaud any dancer who comes to this decision on their own.  It is a much easier way to deal with it.  On your own terms!  I will encourage every parent to give them time, let them know whatever their decision is you are there for them.  But do not also be surprised if after a few weeks off, they want to go back.  Some will,  for some they won't.  But the time to process needs to be in their own hands so that for the rest of their lives, they can be at peace with the decision they have made.  

LisaRG

FYI, Yes, I feel that day is coming for my DD.

However, I know a ballerina that was accepted to a major three letter  SI and then asked to remain full time.  She turned it down because she wasn't sure she wanted to go on with ballet.  She was restless with the commitment and wanted a normal life.

The following year, she realised dance was her passion after all, and decided to continue her training.  She auditioned for the same SI  and she was once again accepted full time ( something extraordinary). She moved to a large City, lived in dorms and finished her training.  She is now a member of the corp in a company which is well known. 

So sometimes they come back.  Having said that, many 13 year olds, and up, like your daughter, realize they need a different path.  Her training can only help her in her life with amazing focus, a love of the arts, and probably a bright and dedicated student.  Be happy and support her. 

L