Ballet Talk for Dancers
thepoodlepack

He looks like a limp noodle to me

thepoodlepack

My DS is 9 years old but will be turning 10 in the fall.  He has taken ballet on and off since he was seven  This past school year I put him in a mini company dance program that had two ballet classes, one jazz class, one tap class, one musical theatre class, and one acro class.  To be honest I put him into dance to keep him off the iPad and YouTube.  Surprisingly he really enjoyed it and did not complain.   I registered him for summer classes but it all got cancelled at this school.  So I inquired at a ballet school in a different city about their summer classes.  They were kind enough to have him come and try out a few classes in June and to my surprise they offered him a 50% scholarship for the next school year providing he trains for 10 hours a week.

I did not realize that there is a difference between dance schools and ballet schools are completely different from jazz, lyrical, tap schools.  What am I getting into if I let him go to this ballet school?  Also - in my honest opinion - he looks like a limp noodle when he dances.  Especially next to the girls. Is this normal?  Will he "firm" up?

Thyme

The answer to your question about diffeences between schools is very long and occupies much of this forum 😛. Take a seat and start reading because there are many answers. I can however offer some consolation on the 'limp' question! Yes he will firm up with age and muscle growth. My once 9 year old son couldn't sit up straight in a chair for more than a few minutes. Totally normal. Welcome to this most excellent forum! 

vrsfanatic

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers thepoodlepack! Please take a moment to introduce yourself in the Welcome Forum and be sure to explore all that BT4D has to offer our very wide ballet loving community.

Yes, you will find that a more ballet focused program generally does have a more serious approach to ballet. It is unfortunate that all dance schools do not approach their lessons with the same seriousness as I have never met a child who wanted to be just an "ok" dancer or a "so-so" dancer. As with anything one studies, one deserves the best training, the real thing or how else could someone honestly access whether or not the activity is really for them?

Young boys are indeed different than young girls. If he really does like dance, give him the most professional experience you can find. If he has talent, you will not be disappointed. If he does not have talent, you will not be disappointed as excellent ballet training teaches young people more than how to dance! If he receives less than quality training it could perhaps teach him not to enjoy ballet. Enjoy your journey.