Ballet Talk for Dancers
Mrs.R

PrePro School-is it now or never?

Eligus

I also echo what Fraildove (and others) have advised you are some of the questions to ask/areas to research and things to think about.  You can also look in the "post grad" forum to look through some threads that talk about "when and what."

With regard to the one teacher's belief of keeping them home:  My DD grew up balletically in a place that discouraged going away to SIs and training elsewhere.  I concur with the warnings about the dangers of only listening to such "keep them home" advice.  However, this is very much a personal decision.  Like any advice, there is a truth and a value to the "keep them at home" as well as the "let them go" position...  but only you and your DD can weigh and measure that truth to see if it applies to your DD at this stage of her training and her emotional development.  I will say that the "keep them home" advisors play to the internal fear that ALL parent's face at allowing their children to go....  Therefore, it is a very seductive/easy choice to listen to those fears.  It is much harder to put those fears aside and look at what your DD needs to grow, so be cognizant of that.

As others above have advised, I, too, would encourage you to research the "when is it time to leave or change schools" threads.  I don't know how to connect those here, but I know I've read several at various times in my DD's training and those threads (like this one) have given me ideas on what to look for and ideas to think about when making the decision.  Reading personal stories of others' journeys helped me measure my own DD's journey to look for clues on which decision was right for her.  The fact that you are here, asking the questions, already gives you an advantage toward making the "right" decision.  :party:

A word of comfort:  when my DD faced this decision, it helped me when people gave me advice (like learningdance's post, above) that there is not really a "be all/end all" decision... it's a journey.  If you make the decision to go (or stay) and it doesn't work out, you can make a different decision and "fix" the problem.  Your DD is NOT jumping off a cliff (even though that is what it feels like -- :P).  If you make a decision and things go "south" or you and she are unhappy with the decision later... you both are smart people... you fix the mistake.  You make a different decision -- this time with more knowledge.  As Henry Ford famously said, "Failure is only the opportunity to begin again, only this time more wisely." 

Personally, if this regional company/training opportunity is within a day or two driving distance, and your daughter is willing to take the leap, I'd encourage you to allow her to take it.  At 15/16, she might be  a BIT young to leave home (? - depending on the support offered by the environment where she is headed -- schooling, eating, laundry, living - and her maturity level), but plenty of dancers leave at 14, and if you can GET to her, you can ameliorate some of those potential concerns.  In other words, sending your DD to live across the country (or ocean) to live away from you or driving a few hours/days are different scenarios (and why it must be a personal decision for you and your DD).

Mrs.R

My apologies for not responding sooner. I've spent the weekend reading and re-reading and thinking over your comments. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and experiences. I am thankful that stumbled across this forum. We have heard from her teacher that these programs are just money-makers for the company and won't benefit our dancer. So I'm trying to filter through all the information and understand what will bring her the most growth. 

Eligus, I appreciate you reminding me that she's not out of reach and nothing is permanent. 

Learningdance, thank you for sharing about your personal experience. 

Fraildove, love your insight and questions.

And Noodles, you are correct, this has come up while she is at an SI. 

Noodles

Most pre-pro schools have a dedicated page here. Does the school in question have a page here that you can read through? I mention this because you are new to BT4D and I don't want you to overlook that as a resource. 

You may be able to glean some insight there, and even ask some questions.

It can be so hard to filter through everything, between the excitement of being invited and the practicality of it all...it can be overwhelming.

Mrs.R

Thanks, Noodles! I did look, but there isn't much about it. And the info provided is not very current.

Thyme

Hi Mrs R. May I suggest you post on that thread asking for any recent experience with that program? That may generate some action. 😀

Mrs.R

Thyme,

thanks! My DH thought the same and created his own account to ask. I don’t believe it’s generated any response 🤷🏻‍♀️

Mrs.R

It looks like it got shuffled into another topic, so I'm not sure if it will grab the attention of anyone. Oh well.

Thyme

As long as it shows up as a new post, people will see it. Doesn't guarantee anyone can comment but we will all see it. Sometimes it takes awhile.

dancemaven

And as we require only first-hand experiences, it may be that none of our members have that. 

Mrs.R

Oh ok! 🤞🏻