Ballet Talk for Dancers
SonDoesDance

Teens qualified to teach

SonDoesDance

Hello everyone

DS12 dances between studios. One pre-pro studio that's attached to a company 4 days a week (during the school year that is), and a small local studio that first sparked his love of dancing when he was just 6 years old.  At the small studio DS dance only took non-competitive jazz. The smaller studio never had many boys in their ballet classes and encouraged DS to check out pre-pro school to  be around other boys and have experienced male teachers. The smaller studio has always been supportive of DS dancing at the pre-pro, even when it meant that we had to cut back on classes in their studio.

Two years ago small studio, found a brilliant male teacher to teach boys ballet classes (beginning, intermediate, advanced) as they had seen a huge increase in boy enrollment due to their new scholarship program. Teacher was truly amazing, had professional dance experience, and many years of teaching experience. Because of this teacher I allowed DS to take the once a week boys intermediate boys classes offered at small studio. 

Fast forward to now and this coming September, small studio unfortunately is financially going through a rough spot and cannot afford to keep male teacher. The boys program has about 40 boys between the three levels. 

Now to my question and my dilemma. Last year one of the advanced boys graduated high school. The Artistic Director has asked this boy to be the new boys ballet teacher for the next school year.  This worries me for a number of reasons:

1. The boy is 17 years old.
  2. He started ballet (and dance in general) at 15 years old.
  3. He has only trained at the small studio for ballet and has never had more than 4 day a week classes (studio unable to offer more)
  4. He himself had two injuries that stopped him from being able to perform in two different performances.
  5. He has never even T.A. a ballet class or boys ballet class at minimum.
  6. No teaching experience across any dance genres.

He has come so far from two years ago, I'm truly proud of him. I would say that he is a good role model for the younger boys and could possibly be a good T.A. to a teacher. But I do not personally trust him to teach the boys ballet class or my DS for that matter. 

I think it's reckless to put a teen in charge of running classes (especially the intermediate and advanced). I see potential injuries happening to the dancers from him not teaching properly, or by not recognizing something the dancers are doing incorrectly.

Other parents are shocked by the recent hire of this boy, but like him well enough to give him a chance, and are not ballet focus.

Should I approach AD about this, am I overreacting,  should I just withdraw quietly? 

momofaboy

Hi! This is my first post. I felt I had to respond to your post. 

My son is also 12. No way in heck would I allow him to be in a class with such an inexperienced teacher. The risk of injury would be too great. 

My son is also in a small studio. He's the only boy anywhere near his level. There are no male teachers. All of his teachers are very experienced. Their femaleness does not prohibit them from being excellent teachers. 

I would approach the AD and tell them why you are withdrawing. And I would certainly withdraw.

SonDoesDance

Hi and thank you momofaboy! I agree that there is nothing wrong with him being in a all boy class being taught by a female. The studio also has many great female teachers who are perfectly capable of teaching the boys classes, and they all should have been considered before this student. With the boys classes "on the rise" if you will, she feels like she NEEDS to have a male teacher, because thats how they have been promoting it and it's what helped them stand out from other studios..:unsure:

learningdance

Not a parent of a boy .  oops

5uptown

Doesn’t sound good at all. A 17yo without professional experience would be much more appropriate as an assistant, perhaps demonstrating steps/combinations etc (my son’s ballet school has this for younger boys, and it can be a very nice role model for them). An experienced female teacher would be much preferable to me than a teenager who lacks the dancing and teaching experience, not to mention life experience. Yikes. 

mln

I would not put your son in this young man's classes.  My fear would be that his inexperience would lead to injuries among the dancers.  At the same time, I probably would not intervene.  I don't think it is worth straining a warm relationship with the home studio.  It sounds like the other parents have been forewarned anyway.  And maybe the studio will find another solution to the loss of the male teacher.

vrsfanatic

No teens is qualified to conduct a class alone. A teen is able to demonstrate for an experienced teacher conducting the class, but conduct a class alone, absolutely no. Run away!

SonDoesDance

Thank you everyone. The studio hadn't actually announced officially that's he was teaching, he announced it on his instagram account. And when I saw that, I got it confirmed by office staff. Which was irritating on another level.

Sad to think that past year was our final year at small studio...but I won't risk DS getting taught incorrectly our of loyalty to the studio.