Ballet Talk for Dancers
ReleveDC

Ballet and horseback riding

ReleveDC

DD11 loves ballet and loves horses. I have read on this board and elsewhere that the two pursuits, at a serious level, are mutually exclusive due to the negative impact of riding on turnout. That is a concern, as DD’s turn out needs work. But I am not clear on how much riding is too much.

Currently, I’d classify DD’s riding as strictly recreational, but important to her nonetheless. She takes one 60-minute private lesson per week during the school year and one two-week camp in the summer. I don’t see that frequency changing much in the future; logistically and financially, we can’t afford to do more. She dances about 6 hours per week at a pre-pro studio, but that will likely increase as she progresses.

Riding gives DD great confidence and stress release, and seems to complement several aspects of dance (control, core strength, balance, poise), but I am concerned about the impact on her turnout. Any advice on whether this amount of riding will undo her hard work to improve her ballet?

Leigh28

As a mom to both serious ballerinas and a serious equestrian, I can honestly say that I can't imagine 1 child being very serious about both.  The time commitment alone is a lot for each, not to mention the financial commitment for the parents.  (i've often said if there is one thing more expensive than ballet it's equestrian).  My ballerinas often times have class, rehearsal or performances that interfere with my other DD's competitions.  My H and I have to "divide and conquer" on these days.  

I can't speak to technique and how riding may interfere with ballet technique as I'm not a dance teacher.  Since she loves it, hopefully it won't have a negative impact since it's only a few hrs a week.    I WILL say that IMHO, and in the opinion of my DD's trainer, ballet could benefit equestrian, but I'm not sure about the other way around.  

DanceMumNYC

It looks like your dd is definitely getting adequate ballet training for her age. I also cannot comment on the effects of riding on ballet technique, however it doesn’t seem as if a one hour recreational lesson will be harmful. One thing I learned from BT4D is that it is actually healthy for younger dancers to explore other activities & do whatever else they love before ballet training increases & takes over all of their time. I have been advised to keep my dd in other activities for as long as possible, so long as they don’t interfere with ballet’s schedule & we can afford them. I offer this advice to you. It seems like your dd is benefiting from riding both mentally and physically. She is young & only rides 1 hr./week, so I don’t think you have to make any major decisions yet regarding pulling her out for the sake of ballet.

balletmom676

I'm a former equestrian and mom to a dancer. As far as the hips are concerned, riding does take a toll on your hips, but only if you ride several hours a week for many many years. I don't understand how it would affect turnout much except that the demands on the hip in riding vs ballet are probably different. But riders should really be using their lower leg and seat more than their hips anyway. I think if she loves riding, and you are able to manage the time for both I would continue. Personally, I would be elated if my DD wanted to ride, but finding the funds for both would be another issue!

AmyMary

I told my daughter (who is 12 ) and wanted to take horseback riding that we couldn't do both. If she wanted that we had to stop ballet, mainly for financial reasons.

I know it is a very personal decision but for me I would rather invest money in a pursuit they can truly focus their energy in than having it scattered in various places. Perhaps letting go of riding would free up more funds for ballet offering her more opportunities? Or vice versa?

I'll never forget that Tutu Much documentary where a dancer from a summer program was asked to stay for the year round school but after it all she turned it down for riding instead. For me that is a lot of money on a summer program for a child to turn down that kind of invitation. She could have better invested it in equestrian pursuits instead. I've always told my kids I will fully support one thing and one thing only...but that is me and every family is different.

dancemaven

Just a reminder that this is the Parents of Under 13 Forum,  one of our restricted posting forums.  A couple posts had to be removed as not being forum eligible.