Ballet Talk for Dancers
Chasse Away

Hey everyone!

Chasse Away

I am a 21 year old student studying engineering in university! Dance is just a hobby for me but sometime I take it more seriously then my actual school work! I trained at a "competitive studio" for 15 years or so, when around when I turned 13 I really fell in love with ballet, but I didn't have insight on how the ballet world really worked. At most comp studios ballet is taught for technique purposes only, so I began getting really fustrated on the lack of discipline and difficulty in my classes. I was also studying RAD which I think is a good method for children under 12 but started to get really tedious when I was a teenager. I ended up reciving my adv. 1.

I then moved to a new city for university, originally I was going to quit dance forever, but I missed it so much so I found a tiny private day school that provides pre professional training for its students. I had never attended a strictly ballet school before then (though I had done 2 intensives at a dance collage partenered with a company) but this studio I now go to is beyond amazing! I have improved so much with both with my artistry and my technique. It is a Vaganova method school with all of the staff being ex-professionals, the studio director was a student at vba and then danced at a few companies in Russia before moving here, working with our countries national ballet school, and then opening his own school. I train half with the adults and half with the senior/pre-pro students. 

Anyways lots of people on Reddit talk about this forum so I figured I'd check it out! Not really sure how it works so if anyone has any pointers (or just wants to talk) let me know :)

Thanks! 

Edited by Chasse Away

Momof3darlings

We welcome you Chasse away.  We do not encourage the sharing of information about your location so I have removed the posts after.  Please take a moment to read our guidelines for the forum and then take some time to look around.  

Chasse Away

Oh sorry momof3darlings, yeah I wasn't sure what your privacy policies are, but now I think I've found all the rules and guidelines and stuff. 

Redbookish

Welcome to Ballet Talk for Dancers, Chasse Away. We're glad you found us - and you'll find the Adult Ballet Students sections of the board a place of camaraderie and understanding about our obsession with this beautiful art form.

Chasse Away

Yes hi redbookish. 

It seems the adult ballet boards are aimed towards adult beginners. Is there a specific place for adult hobbiests?

dancemaven

Chasse Away, please do take some time to explore the Adult Dancer forums and get to know the Adult Dancers here.  You will find that there are many, many adults who have been training for a very long time and have enjoyed dance as a part of their lives for quite some time.  They have  been participating in our forums for years and years, as well.

We suggest that all new members makes themselves a cup of tea or coffee, pull up a comfy chair and take time to explore all the wonderful forums and threads we have to offer here.  Feel free to drop into and add to discussions in progress!  

Chasse Away

Will do dancemaven, I'll brew myself a cup after dance tonight! 

Some of the posts are from a very long time ago (like 2011 or older), are these still open for discussion or are they mainly for reading only? 

dancemaven

They are open for discussion.  A locked thread will not permit further posts.

Please do be judicious in reviving old threads.  Ones that dealt with a specific question for a specific member or a specific time period are best left sleeping.  Those that can benefit from updated discussion are fine candidates for revival. 

Our Board is a discussion and research board.  We try very hard to keep topics organized so that it is easy for folks to do “searches” for topics and partake of the wisdom and experiences of those who have gone before while adding their own experiences.  We try not to re-invent the wheel constantly. 😊

Please do take time to read our Rules and Policies, which will help  you understand how we do things here. 🙂  It is pretty easy to get the hang of it. 

Redbookish

Just to add to Dancemaven's answer to you, ChasseAway: the Adult Students section of Ballet Talk for Dancers has dancers of all levels contributing. I've been studying ballet and other dance forms since I was 15 (which is now over 40 years), others have just discovered the art. There's always something to learn, and something to contribute. 

The impression that the Adult Students sections are for beginners might be that people often find us because they've just started ballet study, and are searching for answers to basic questions they can't really ask in class, or that they feel embarrassed to ask in person - so an anonymous message board is an ideal way to ask & learn.

But if you read some of the threads in the technique section, you'll see that we often go into deep technical detail in our discussions, helped by some wonderful teachers who also contribute.